Water Issue

Jackson04Jeep35s

I have a 2004 Wrangler X with the 4.0L 6cyl. I have had a problem with my engine taking on water any time I am in a fording action. I have been 4x4ing since long before I had a drivers license and have all but drowned several trucks (all with chevy 350s). For some reason any time I get about midway up my engine on the Jeep, I end up getting water in the oil. This can be a very expensive problem. I dont get it. I know the water isnt comming in through the intake... the water is simply not up that high. How is it that with my jeep and its second engine already... that theese things keep taking on water :x ? Thanks.

Richard

How fast do you go through the water? How much wave action do you get in the engine compartment? Also, is your fan running when you do this? That could splash water all over the place. On my YJ, the intake tube out front of the airbox runs up to the grill and turns downward, probably to about the 2/3rds level of the engine. I've never run through any real deep water, but I've had it stutter and miss a time or two plowing through puddles.

Have you considered a snorkel? I think that's about the only way to get around your problem, aside from staying out of the water altogether....but what fun is that?

Oh, and btw, welcome to Jeepz!!! Glad to have you aboard! Tell us a bit about yourself. Where ya from? What do you do for a living? Married? Kids? Hobbies? Shoe size?

Thanks for the welcom. I really dont think that the snorkle is gona solve my problem. My jeep has never so much as stuttered from water intake. Also, one old timer once said that some OEM seals just dont keep fluids out... only in. I dont know why anyone would use a seal that only works one way, but thats about the only logical explanation. Also, to answer Sparky's question... the first time this happened(when I had to replace the engine) I didnt do more than creep through the one tiny little puddle (aprox 12 in deep). There was no wave action. Also, my intake pulls from the breather box from the top. Water would have to make it into the box, then up... through the filter then into my intake. I dont know whats up, but I cant just stay out of the water all together. Any other ideas?

Thanks

I don't know if it's so much that OEM seals don't keep fluids out, just that some extremely rapid cooling occurs when your engine, transmission, and diffs come in contact with water. This creates a little vacuum that pulls fluids through your seals. I don't think there's a seal in the world that can completely combat this. This is the only thing that I can think of that would pull water into the oil in that shallow of water. This just makes it imperative that you check and change fluids after any water crossings.

SenorCole86 said:
I don't know if it's so much that OEM seals don't keep fluids out, just that some extremely rapid cooling occurs when your engine, transmission, and diffs come in contact with water. This creates a little vacuum that pulls fluids through your seals. I don't think there's a seal in the world that can completely combat this.

What about the seal on a frog's arse?

:purple:

Back