Rattle

chad.helton

Trying to figure out what is causing a rattle when I put my jeep in neutral and let off the clutch. I am getting a rattle sound and I can feel the rattle through the gear shift. It is not very loud, and is only occurs in neutral. Any ideas what would cause this?

I had the same problem a year back or so...I remeber the people here saying if ya step on the clutch and the noise goes away..good chance its your throw out bearing.

Don't ask me where it is or what it does. All I know is my jeep was under warrenty and told them to replace it, they did..noise stopped.

My money would be on the throw out bearing as well. Should go ahead and do a full clutch job if your going to drop the transmission and if you have an internal slave change that one as well. I know it is a lot of dough but beats putting all back together and haveing one or more of the other items listed go on you a little latter. Been there had it happen. Dang ol jeeps! hehehe tug

Throw out bearing
x3. It might outlast your clutch, it might not. If the clutch has a lot of miles on it then you might want to consider doing them all now instead of waiting to be stranded somewhere.

TwistedCopper said:
x3. It might outlast your clutch, it might not. If the clutch has a lot of miles on it then you might want to consider doing them all now instead of waiting to be stranded somewhere.

x3.75. My dad always told me to replace what ya can while you've got something huge torn down.....just saves you the trouble of replacing it later and tearing it all down again. I'm betting on throwout bearing, too. Lost one in my old '76 Datsun pu years ago.

If you decide to replace the clutch at the same time, some clutches will come with the bearing. My LUK Gold series clutch came with the bearing.

Thanks for the help, I didn't know a little sound could mean so much! Just curious what is the throw out bearings function? Jeep is an 03 with 50K on it, is that enough where it would be logical to replace the clutch?

The clutch fork engages the throwout bearing, which rides on the input shaft. The bearing presses on the tines of the clutch and is what actually disengages the contact

How long can it go with a rattle until it turns into a functional problem? Thanks for the info. by the way.

Back