Egine Cutting Out

Izall

I recently bought a 1980 CJ7 with a 151 4cyl. It runs good until it gets warm and then it starts cutting out when I'm in high gear and try to give it gas. It's starts running good again if I back off the gas a little but as soon as I try to accelerate again it starts cutting out again. I've put a new fuel filter on it and new spark plugs and plug wires. Any ideas on what could be causing this.

you got some carb cleaner?? gum out? try cleaning that out and maybe even changinit and see if that helps...maybe also an air filter- did they use those back then- not very good suggestions but at least all will let it breathe easier.

I'm with UrsaMajor - sounds like a fuel problem to me. It may be your choke that makes it run good when cold. Try resetting your mixture, and playing with the idle.

Terry

I had a similar problem.(on my 258-6) When I stepped on the gas it would either stumble or even cut out. The culprit was the accelerator pump, (inside the carb). I bought a rebuild kit ($12.00?),can of gumout($1.99?),lunch ($5.00?), and cleaned my carb. In my case that was the fix. Lunch was good too. Good luck
image-missing.png

I had a similar problem on my 88 YJ 4.2. I tried everything even had it at several dealers and no one could find the problem. It only happened everynow and then. I ran normal most of the time. It ended up being the ignition module. I don't know if this is the same problem that you are experiencing or not. Good luck.

Back