Steering Stabilizer???

Jeepr89

I now have a 99 tj which has a rubicon express long arm kit and sits on 37s. I have a vibration at highway/interstate speeds. I belive that the vibration is due to the stabilizer not being up to the task of dampening the big tires. My question is what is the best choice to upgrade my stabilizer, and I do understand that it is hard to get rid of all the little bugs but I think this one can be dealt with to some extent.
Thanks Evan

if you've run out of debugging driveline angle vibes and are sure its the stabilizer the you should look for a twin shock setup like you see on bigger trucks running that (monster) size tire... no real experience here just my $.02 (and just sux not getting a response!)

If you find it isnt your stearing my guess it is you rear drive shaft. Does your TJ have a slip yoke on the tcase? After 4inches + of lift you start running into drive issues. My 89 YJ has a vibration at highway speeds from they rear shaft. GL on the vibration

Steering stabilizer is a bandaid that will cover the cause of the vibes, theoretically you could run without one if everything were working properly.

where, specifically is the vibration? In the steering wheel? If so, then it sounds like you have a front end shimmy. Steering geometry (alignment) is a likely cause, as is unbalanced tires, worn bushings, or a bent/damaged component in the steering or suspension.

Process of elimination is what you need to do.

37's aren't that big. You shouldn't have a vibration problem just because of them.

Like Bounty said, a stabilizer would just be a band-aid for the real problem

I don't think it's a tire balance issue, and the vibration is from the front, I do have a sye kit in the rear. The tires are moving back and forth, and I think this is what is causing the vibration. I wasn't saying that the tires were causing my problem I was just filling everyone in on the specific details so I could get a better answer.
Thanks for the input so far. And to twisted I love that Jeep it looks like my first jeep and brings back good memories
Evan

what do you mean they're moving back and forth?

That would probably be a balance problem. Or, the wheel is not seated correctly on the mounting surface.

Oh, and in my last post I wasn't saying that the tires aren't the problem. I'm just saying that if everything is perfect, the tires shouldn't cause any problems like that.

I have found that usually tire balance problems are very consistent where this problem is not. It's like if I hit a bump or the vibration starts it can't stop itself and that is why I thought that the stabilizer had something to do with it. I have seen cars in the past with similar problems, but since this is not stock I thought I would seek the assistance of experts in this area.
Thanks Evan

Jeepr89 said:
I hit a bump or the vibration starts it can't stop itself
Ah, that's a classic case of death wobble. A stabilizer may help some, but it is not the problem as mentioned earlier. Death wobble (DW) can be cause by the drag link and trackbar not being lined up properly, it could be a worn trackbar bushing, or it could be an alignment issue.

Thanks for the compliment on my YJ. I just bought it a little while ago after a long search for that particular year/package.

EDIT

I'd check the trackbar bushings first, then verify the front axle is properly centered under the vehicle (if not adjust trackbar and then get a front end alignment afterward).

The joint at the frame end of the RE 1600 adjustable trackbar seems to not last very long. It may need replacing if that's the one you have. I would buy an additional one to have on hand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I will ck that as soon as I have a chance. I miss my 89 Sahara I wish I never would have sold it and one day I hope to find another Sahara in that color.

okay... 37" tires... not small... got a little bit of rotating mass going on there... making for some serious gyroscopic effect... you take two of them and spin them at 50 mph or so and kick one... of course theres gonna be some affect on the handling... thats why i'm going back to the damper thing (which is why you see them added to crotch rocket motorcycles) - it can only help in keeping those two big, heavy gyroscopes going where YOU want... just my $.02 but makes sense to me....

A solid trackbar in good condition will help keep those "two big, heavy gyroscopes" where you want them. A heavier or dual steering stabilizer is just a bandaid to cover up Death Wobble, it shouldn't be there regardless of tire size.

LVRockCrawler said:
...(which is why you see them added to crotch rocket motorcycles)...

They only really make a difference on bikes at anything over 120mph. And that's because you've got a single tire up front that is going move all around whenever it hits any little bump at those kinds of speeds...due to the fact that you have barily ANY contact with the road (you'd be amazed at how little the tire actually touches the ground when you're hauling ***). Not EXACTLY the same thing as with a car.

But as twisted said, it sounds like it is death wobble. Check all your joints like he said...and then go from there.

Back