Fuel line security

geopig

So last weekend some a-hole tried to siphon gas from my jeep while it was parked in my spot behind our apt. building. One of my neighbors just happened to be leaving and spooked the guy off. I thought I was good since I have a locking gas cap but the bugger unhooked the fuel filler line from beneath circumventing my locking gas cap. He didn't get any as far as we can tell (typical gauge not working so I'll see). Anybody have any security ideas for this other than camping out back there with a very large spiked club?

Camping out with a shotgun? large rabid dog? self destructing anti tamper mechanism? Maybe some way to prevent them getting their hands to the fuel filler line... like a plate in the way or maybe some chicken wire. you could always go with my favorite and puts spikes around the hose. GL tryin to figure this one out, i've never heard of anybody siphoning gas that way

Try going to your local parts store and get a flexible lower rad hose with the coiled heavy gauge wire inside. That will slow down his cutting time into the hose. See if they have any large hose clamps with a different type of head not "regular slotted". Or spin the existing clamps in a manner that will slow down the thief. You have to think like a thief. Seconds could mean getting away or behind bars. If its a hassle for them, they will leave. Also like red93 said a plate would work fine, enough to not get their hands up in there. Another idea is to find a local farm and borrow some of his barb wire. Wrap it around the hose. Better would be the prison systems barb wire, nice razors. Good Luck
Guysmiley
Guysmiley

After repeatedly (almost weekly) losing gas out of his truck a friend of mine devised a plan:

He parked his truck for a week without moving it. Before parking it he removed his gas tank and placed a sealed 5 gallon bucket mounted on it's side in it's place, putting the fill tube into it.

It had gas in it, and sugar too.

About 4 days later the bucket was empty. He replaced everything but never lost a drop of gas again.

After repeatedly (almost weekly) losing gas out of his truck a friend of mine devised a plan:

He parked his truck for a week without moving it. Before parking it he removed his gas tank and placed a sealed 5 gallon bucket mounted on it's side in it's place, putting the fill tube into it.

It had gas in it, and sugar too.

About 4 days later the bucket was empty. He replaced everything but never lost a drop of gas again.

I like your friend he is my kinda guy.:twisted:

great idea! too bad theres not a commonly available substance to mix w/the fuel that would blow the heads off a motor... sugar is too good for those dirtbags!

Last edited:
My standard response for prevention of theiving, vandalizing, and otherwise unwanted bastids:

Claymoremine-1.jpg

the claymore now thats a classic theft deterrent... my buddy kept losing gas in front of his body shop out of his old wrecker so he rigged the gas door to a 12v car battery sitting in the bed so when they opened the door then grounded themselves on the cap "old school metal cap and filler" they got a nice wake up call .... but the gas prices arent helping the situations any either its becoming more and more commonplace

the claymore now thats a classic theft deterrent... my buddy kept losing gas in front of his body shop out of his old wrecker so he rigged the gas door to a 12v car battery sitting in the bed so when they opened the door then grounded themselves on the cap "old school metal cap and filler" they got a nice wake up call .... but the gas prices arent helping the situations any either its becoming more and more commonplace

Dang, talk about a liability! One errant spark and that dude's up on manslaughter charges!

Back in high school, my brother lived in an apartment complex over the summer that kept getting hit by gas thieves. We caught them one night and called the cops who just told the 15 y/o boys to give back the gas and took them home. A month later one of them was shot and killed by an old man while stealing his gas. I always figured if the cops had been tougher on them that kid might still be alive.

yeah you'd just really have to meet the guy to understand funny guy and very knowledged but i wouldnt take a mountain dew from him without asking LoL ..... WoW thats horrible i mean yeah it ****es ya off to lose some petro but not shooting somebody over unless its some rock salt in the rear haha works on keeping the deers out of the garden ....

Could always rig up a board with razor blade tips up where the criminal has to reach his thieing hand. Oops. Sucks for him.

Dang, talk about a liability! One errant spark and that dude's up on manslaughter charges!

Back in high school, my brother lived in an apartment complex over the summer that kept getting hit by gas thieves. We caught them one night and called the cops who just told the 15 y/o boys to give back the gas and took them home. A month later one of them was shot and killed by an old man while stealing his gas. I always figured if the cops had been tougher on them that kid might still be alive.

It wouldn't be manslaughter it would be a worksite related death, due to the fact that he is a theif and was on his current work site. Would like to see the way osha would write that one up ;)

Just a thought... I know nobody is really going to hook up a Claymore to their Jeep, but keep in mind that the guy has your Jeep and enough privacy that he feels comfortable stealing your gas. If you were to booby trap it somehow, he is now really ticked off at you and with your Jeep when nobody is looking. It could end up worse off than losing a couple gallons of gas!

It wouldn't be manslaughter it would be a worksite related death, due to the fact that he is a theif and was on his current work site. Would like to see the way osha would write that one up ;)

Ohh, good point!!! Never thought of it that way!:lol:

Back