Fuel Cell

pinaplebob

Some of you may know, but if not i've been restoring (I guess that's the word for it) a 78 CJ5. I've pretty much got the body back into one piece and now am working on drivablity. I've found out that i've got a problem with fuel flow from the tank. After climbing underneith I found my fuel lines are junk, the tank and the skid plate are junk. My question is what at the pro's and cons of running a 15 gal fuel cell in the back? I know they will fit, and don't plan on putting a seat back there, just wondering if anyone has tried this, or knows if a cheap cell anywhere. I can find them for about $170.00 which is about the price of a actual fuel tank, so i'm torn on what to do, either customize, or replace.

thanks for any advice you guys may have.

A fuel cell is nice because it gives you the clearance back there and also the room to move the rear axle back if you want to in the future. As far as Cons go, I'm not really sure, can't really think of any other than the lost cargo space. So, as long as you're not too worried about that, I'd say go for it. I'm interested to see where you got a $17 fuel cell and the quality of it is though . . .

I found the tank on Jeg's I think, haven't really dug deep as far as quality, just looking at prices. I really don't know what a good fuel cell costs, or anything like that. I know of a friend who spent about $400.00 on a 12 gallon but it had a foam or something inside. I'm not to concerned with the loss of cargo room, as it's not my daily driver, more or less a toy. As far as the higher center of gravity, i can't see it making that big of a difference, but that's one thing i'm going to have to consider.

thanks for your advice.

Jeepdoc.com consistently had the lowest prices when I was "restoring" my CJ.

Back