Pro Comp All Terrian

chad.helton

I am looking at getting the pro comp all terrians put on my TJ next week. Does anyone have anything bad to say about these tires???

They are not very agressive at all. If you plan on attempting muddy trails or mudholes steer clear of them as they will not do well at all. I've seen them in action and it was pathetic. The guy might as well had left the stock tires on the Jeep. They are, however very good snow tires and have good street manners.

BFG AT's and Cooper ST are, in my opinion, a much better all-terrains and sold almost everywhere if you ever need a replacement. I have had both, the Cooper being the more aggressive of the two but just as streetable.

Last edited:
And the only answers possible

-Good tread life.
-Good street manners.
-Easy to pawn off on some unknowingly kid who wants bigger tires. "Yea, these are 'all terrains', they go anywhere..."

my buddy had a set on his ZR2 and they didnt clean at all any kind of mud or loose dirt would just clump them up like a set of baldies ... a plus is he claimed they done good in snow but i've never tried them i always thought they were overpriced for what you get .. and to get him out of this muddy hill we had to lay tree branches on the tracks to give him enough traction to get out so yeah no good cleaning hahah :bomb:

Well... glad I asked! Ok, next question. What would you suggest I get that would be around the same price? Keep in mind this is an everyday driver, and on the interstate twice a week.

goodyear MTR , BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM , Dunlop Radial Mud Rover, are some well mannered on road tires but have the guts to help cut through some thick stuff off road my buddy ran the dunlops on his XJ and loved them said he got great wear out of them and performed outstanding off road in mud, now if your looking for a nice all terrian tire that can still handle some off road action the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO is the one i'd go with guy i know ran them all year round on a 71 chevy i think 35"s and actually got good tread life out of em and still had fun o/r

Well... glad I asked! Ok, next question. What would you suggest I get that would be around the same price? Keep in mind this is an everyday driver, and on the interstate twice a week.

The Cooper ST's I had on my XJ were probably the best "happy medium" tire I ever owned. The outside lugs were larger than most AT's so they did better inmud than the BFG AT's I had. They wore evenly, and if I had a daily driver that I wanted to hit the trails with that's the tire I would buy.

Another option might be Interco's (Super Swamper) TRXUS MT, but that is based on what I have heard more than what I have experienced first hand.

BBIOJ(Back before I owned a Jeep) I had B.F.Goodrich AT KO's on my full size Chevy, My Buddie had B.F.G. M.T.'s on his 97 TJ and I went every where he did, This is a great tire! All the tires that lethaldose and T.C. mentioned you can't go wrong with, It just depends on you're preference. Do you love the beautiful sound a mudder makes or not! As far as the TRXUS MT I don't know, but i own some Interco's (Super Swamper) SSR's and their great so far.(I have only had them about 1 year) Good on and off road.

The TRXUS MT's are a great tire, so are the Dunlops. IMHO an all terrain is always that, an all terrain. Buy an M/T style tire and don't look back. I've seen the BFG A/T KO's next to the cheapest mud tire available and the mud tires hook up better regardless. They have larger voids. I ran the Dunlop Mud Rovers for a couple years, never had a problem. They hook up good and clean good.

I have LeMans 31X 10.5 15 AT's and they do great in mud and on road. I have had them for 3 years and they are holding up great. Noise is a little loud though for an AT.

I have almost 10k on my set of bfg a/t's with literally no wear shown. I generally go where i want as far as wooded trails but when i hit a good mud hole i have to keep them spinning pretty good or i'll come to a complete stop. On road they grip better than all my friend's little ricers with the racing tires and i've already told you about the mileage. If you don't hit any heavy mud and want a good tire for that interstate driving i'd say they would be great for you.

The TRXUS MT's are a great tire, so are the Dunlops. IMHO an all terrain is always that, an all terrain. Buy an M/T style tire and don't look back. I've seen the BFG A/T KO's next to the cheapest mud tire available and the mud tires hook up better regardless. They have larger voids. I ran the Dunlop Mud Rovers for a couple years, never had a problem. They hook up good and clean good.

I agree on the cheap mudders vs. expensive A/T's. I had BFG M/T's on my old Toy, and they'd start self cleaning between 12 and 15 mph. They had great floatation in mud, too. I could cruise across the mud flats at the lake at 25-30 mph and stay on top. You could see the mud rippling in waves as I went across. As soon as I'd burp the throttle, it would sink down and dig, but when I eased back out of it, they'd climb back on top and keep going. Those were great tires, but man did they wear fast!

I was thinking of trying a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, when my MT/R's wear out. Any thing good/bad on them anyone know of?

I was thinking of trying a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, when my MT/R's wear out. Any thing good/bad on them anyone know of?
No help on the Maxxis, but I am wondering... are those MT/R's wearing evenly on the TJ? I am curios because they wore uneven for me unless I rotated them every 3K mi. I had the same tire on the same size wheel (they were made for 7" wheels yet D.C. puts them on 16x8's :( ) Go figure

The Creepy Crawlers are a competition rock crawling tire. Not the best for all around usage. They're great at what they do, but not a trail/DD tire. Stick to an M/T or Swamper

Back