Transmission Opinion

Quik8slvr

I've got a Chevy 350 engine which is currently bolted to a TH350 auto transmission, my friend also had a V8 conversion in his jeep and just totaled it the other day and i can get his 700r4 transmission, adapter, and drive shaft for whatever i sell my TH350 etc for. Whats everyones oppinion on the 700r4? i hear that they're not as durable of a transmission but then i also hear the low first gear and the fact that it is a 4 speed make it an exellent choice for the Jeep Conversion. All im really looking at is a cost in my time so i just want to know if its worth the effort.[addsig]

hmmm, I never heard that the 700r4 was significantly weaker than a TH350, I always got the impression it was equivalent.

I have heard it is more difficult to rebuild and is less forgiving in a rebuild than the TH350.

Personally, if you know it'll bolt on with out much problem, and it won't cost you much more, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If you are worried at all, make sure you have a nice trans cooling system and I don't foresee any problems.

-keith[addsig]

yeah i think im going to stick with the TH350 because when i bought it i did a full performance rebuild, and the 700R4 was only a stock rebuild...it would just be nice to have a 4 speed[addsig]

Back