TJ upgrade advice

Jason4x4

I'm mulling over some potential upgrades for my '06 TJ and wanted to run some questions by the experts :) .

Right now, my off roading consists of going out and fooling around in some secluded areas and I'm planning on making occasional trips to Paragon in the future (and maybe the public trails at Greenridge as well). My Jeep is mainly for running errands, but keep in mind it is NOT a daily driver - I have a company van for work and the TJ is mainly used for picking up the occasional pizza or running to the grocery store. It mostly sits in the parking lot of my apartment during the week. Now that you know what my usage will be... here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1. 2" Rubicon Express economy suspension lift - couple questions though - first, I have the "heavy duty" factory suspension (i.e. Rubicon springs/slightly stiffer shocks) - will this lift give me 2" on top of the extra 1/2" from the Rubi springs? I.e., will I end up with 2.5" total lift? or will I only get 1.5" more lift from the kit?? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

2. 31" BFG Mud Terrain Km's. - What's the general consensus on these? They look to be fairly aggressive but also look like they should have decent wear on paved road. Do they suck in the mud? I'm not much into rock climbing, but I do like plowing through mud...so what do people around here think of these tires?

3. A set of sway bar disconnects. I hear this gives a lot better flex off road. Can you guys suggest a manufacturer and/or let me know what to look for in a good set of disconnects??

I think those three upgrades will be a good start and will suit me well for a few years until I get ready for some more advanced trails. Anything else I should be looking into??

As always, thanks for your help!

1. That type of lift uses spacers. Your net lift will equal their thickness if you retain the stock coil spring isolators... so a 2" lift will actually give you 2". This would not be the case with a suspension that replaces the springs themselves.

2. BFG MT's are one of the most commonly run mudders out there. Great tires and pretty good street manners for Mt's - a good choice.

3. JKS Quicker disconnects are easy to use. Worth the price difference for the low frustration factor if nothing else. Definately one of those best bang for your buck simple mods.

4. Front and rear tow points and recovery gear (recovery straps, a shackle or two) are a must have if you don't already have them. They should be #1 on anybody's lift before offroading.

As for #4, I have the factory tow hooks front and rear - is this adequate, or should I be looking into more??

For what it's worth, I'd really like to pick up a Smittybilt SRC front and rear bumper with the big D-ring shackles when I have some extra cash laying around...but until then I was hoping the factory tow hooks would suffice.

While I'm at it, is it a bad idea to buy a used winch?? Or would I be better off getting a cheaper new one?

Hey, another question - possibly another stupid one ;). Looking at the JKS Quicker disconnects - they have a TJ application for 0-2" lift, and one for 2.5-6" lift. Since I have the Rubi springs and I'm planning on the 2" Rubi Express lift, I need the 2.5-6" disconnects, right?

i have the smitty built src front bumper. i love it . once i get a winch on the front it will fill it up nicely

............While I'm at it, is it a bad idea to buy a used winch?? Or would I be better off getting a cheaper new one?

Depends on your anticipated usage, I guess. I bought a cheaper Asian winch of eBay a couple years ago. It's slow, but gets the job done (for my usage). I sometimes regret spending the extra $$$$ and going with a Warn - more reliable, faster. If you could get a used Warn cheaply, I'd say go with it, but be careful with anything used............there's a reason they're getting rid of it.

As for a winch, I'b buy a new one, but not a cheap one. I would hold off buying a winch. Very nice to have but unless you have a specific need for it then put the $$$ into skidplates, bumpers, rocker protection, etc.

Back