Your thoughts about some items

jfrabat

OK, I am looking at a couple of things on the web, and would like to know everyone's thoughts on them...

1. How would a 2.5L 4 banger handle 33 inch tires? I currently have 31" tires, but would like to upgrade to 33's. But I do not want to spend the big $$$ to re-gear or re-engine... Will 33 be too much for this engine? By the way, I have American Racing Outlaw II offset wheels, so rubbing should not be so much of a problem).

2. To fit the 33" tires, I have been reading on luft options for the YJ, and it seems the best option is to do a Spring Over Axle conversion, as it maintains the stock ride comfort, has more flex than a spring lift, and it will give you about 4~5" of lift (which is just right for 33" tires). From what I read, this, of course, would involve installing a SYE Kit (with new shaft), extending the brake lines, changing the shocks, using dropped pitman arms, soldering the spring perches, and installing a traction bar to avoid the warping of the spring under torque... More work, but the end result is supposed to be better. Any thoughts?

3. Anyone is using Tera-Flex Revolver Shackles? I am convinced that they are great off-road, but what about for on-road, everyday driving? Do you notice the difference from regular shackles? Any negative side effects?

3. Will a high-flow water pump help in cooling the Jeep? From what I inderstand, the radiator area has more to do with the cooling than the pump... The reason I ask is that I saw a pump in quatratec.com (http://www.quadratec.com/products/51212_58.htm) that says it is much better than stock, but I am not sure... I do plan to take this Jeep down to Panama (Central America; average temp of about 88 degrees (with quite a few 100+ days), so I need to make sure the Jeep stays cool. Is this product worth it?

4. Regarding the electric fans, I read somewhere (cannot find where at this time) that even though they are good, they still cannot product as much airflow as a belt driven fan, and thus cannot cool as much (even though they take up less HP than belt driven fans). Anyone with experience with e-fans that can give me a good evaluation of this assesment?

5. Which 6" flares would you guys recommend for a YJ? I am currently looking at the Bushwacker pocket style fenders, but I am not yet decided. But I DO need the flares, because any water on the road currently ends up INSIDE the Jeep as a result of the offset wheels...

Just thought these items would make for interesting conversation (not to mention that they would help me make up my mind!)

Felipe

'94 Wrangler S
YJ 2.5L 4 Cyl.

1. I had a TJ with the 2.5 and it was a dog with 31's, so I cant imagine it with 33's. However, I'm also convinced that that engine had problems along with the automatic transmission. But I still dont know about 33's w/out regearing. Maybe someone else can be more helpful.

2. No experience, so I wont comment.

3. Same as 2

the other #3. Same as above.

4. I would think that would all depend on the fan, i.e. power and rpm. Again, look for someone with more experience.

5. Although I have no experience, I've read on other boards that the bushwackers have the nicname buckcracker. Draw your own conclusions there.

Sorry, not a lot of experience in this post, but some things to think about.

Nathan

1. My friend has a 4 banger in his YJ and he run's 33's with no worries. 4 Bangers are geared lower then the others so it's not really a problem till you get to 35's.

2.No Idea mate

3.Same as 2.

4.Same as 2 and 3.

5. Yea they sure as hell will rip a hole in your pocket. They go for 300+ for the set. Now I have seen some on other sites that are slightly cheaper and look just as good.

I generally run 33" tires on my 2.5L without much problem, but I've done quite a few power mods to the engine. Performance won't be much worse than your 31" tires.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what it takes for a SOA conversion. You may get away without using a antiwrap bar on the rear axle since the 2.5L doesn't make all that much power. Keep in mind that a SOA can be expensive to do right, more than a 4" SUA lift.

One BB tip, you'll generally get more responses, and quality responses, by limiting your posts to one or two related questions. Easier to respond to and follow.

#1 Without re-gearing your going to loose 5th gear for normal driving use.

#2 your going to get axel wrap problems with a spring over. If your not the best with a cutting tourch and welder new 4 inch springs from some after market supplier will give you a better ride than a spring over. Also look into double wrapped type spings

#3 There revolvers are nice and will un-load giving you that extra articulation. But several of my rock crawler buddies have since pulled them off going to a boomarang type shackle because the revolvers have unloaded on them in some places where you really didnt want them too.

#4 With the right electric fan you can produce greater air flow than with a flex or clutch type fan driven by the front belt. Plus at lower RPM's like rock crawling your electric fan will run at higher speeds since its not driven off the front drive belt.

#5 Personally I am not a fan of the pocket type flares, they catch mud and other chit and have to be washed out.

I've got a '98 4banger with 33's, lifted, and I'll second that 5th gear is about useless if not re-geared. I only use fifth to hold the same speed on a flat South Carolina straight highway.

I've pushed it up to 65 mph, but it's hard to go faster than that. Depends on which way the wind blows, too. Still runs stock air intake (but does a cracked hole next to the air intake count as a "mod"?), mech fan, no change on catback exhaust as far as I know (bought it used and was heavily modded from previous owner).

It's worth it though, to be a foot higher and looking out over all the yuppie Ford Expedition/Cadillac Escalade SUVs here at the coast :)

If I wanted to go any faster, I'd use the daily driver (Infiniti G35c)

Heh, that last line probably identifies me as one of the other yuppies at the beach. But only on weekdays ;)

Back