Transfer case lowering kit

Jason4x4

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I recently purchased a RE 2" economy lift for my '06 TJ. I have the factory 'heavy duty' suspension with the Rubi springs which already give a .5" lift over stock. At the same time I also purchased a Skyjacker transfer case lowering kit.

Today I called Mount Zion Offroad in Carlisle to see about getting the kit installed. (I'm not allowed to touch my vehicles at my apartment per the lease). The price is reasonable. I talked to...I believe it was Mike? Anyway, I mentioned the transfer case kit, and he made the comment that "I probably wouldn't need it." These guys seem to know what they're talking about so I don't question his statement, but what I'm wondering is since I already have the kit, would it hurt anything to go ahead and have them install it?? I mean, I'm not going to lower the Jeep back down at any point...I'm just going to go higher in the future 8). What do the experts here at the Z think?

Either way, I called Quadratec and it seems the actual lift kit itself is still on backorder, and the guy I talked to said it would at least be a couple more weeks before they got it, so I've got a while to decide. I just have to figure out how I'm going to be able to drop off the Jeep up there...

No you dont want to use the TC lowering kit if you can avoid it. It just takes away some of the ground clearence you gained thru the lift.

Mike is a great guy and that is a very good shop. They'll do you right.

I wouldn't think you'd need the TC drop but Jeeps are funny and inconsistant. I would give it a go without as it does hinder your breakover angle.
[edit]
They are in Dover, not Carlisle ;)

Yeah, you're right...I saw Carlisle road in the address...couldnt remember the name of that little dot on the map...oh well, whatever ;). Alright, I'll give it a go without the TC kit.

So what kind of symptoms would I notice if I would happen to need the TC lowering kit? Is it something that the shop would/should notice when they install the lift?

It won't be just any vibration either. The most common vibration I've seen from a budget boost on a TJ was from the front pinion angle. Run the caster all the way out and the vibration went away, and handling improved with the better caster angle.

Shouldn't need the TC drop.

Back