Question about gearing?

Gsx31337

Hi, I got a 2001 TJ 4.0 Automatic Sahara edition, 3 inch Teraflex short arm, rancho 9000's, 32/11.5 Goodyear MTR's with a warn winch and bumper with a few other goodies to add weight to her. Ive added a K&N cold air, and a throttle body spacer to try and add a little more umph and help out my gas millage. however I found I got some umph but not as much as I would like and honestly I think the gas millage may have gone down. Im running a Dana 30 - 35 on her and im assuming that it has 3.73 gears in it. From what I'm reading I'm running below my optimum RPM rang on the highway .. at 70 mph i beleave im between 2100 -2200 which I hear can hurt my gas milage, on top of that it pulls like a wounded possum when I need to pass I would sure love some more pickup even at the expense of my mpg.
I might want to put 33's on it for my next tire change, (about 10,000 miles) and that would just worsen the problem. I do use this jeep as my daily driver and really love it, also i use it for some weekend weelin. sooo since my only options for it would be a 4.10 or a 4.56 gear ratio what should i go with? we have a stock rubi with 4.10's which drives good but its got smaller tires and is lighter weight then my jeep as well so it seams a lower gear ratio then that would be better????

Are 33's the biggest? If you think you might ever go with 35's, Me personally I would go with 4.88 or 5.12 gears.

33's are the biggest i will go with for about 3 years .. but will 4.56's be to much for a 32 or 33? I doubt I would go to a 35 inch with my Dana 35 .. I would need to do an axle swap or least beef it up.

Last edited:
IF you have 3.73 I would recommend the 4.56 gears. Tough call since you're not 100% sure on your current ratio.

Don't forget to correct the odometer for the speedometer error when figuring mileage, unless you changed the speedo gear to compensate for the larger tires.

Ya i corrected the speedo gear.. thanks for the advice .. im just worried about going to low ... or not doing enough.

at 70 mph i beleave im between 2100 -2200

Sounds to me like you have higher than 3.73 gears (3.07 maybe)?!?!?

I have 3.55 gears in the YJ and 3.73 in the LJ... both are on 31's and both of them at 70 mph are tach-ing much higher than yours.

Last edited:

I'm running 31's with 4:10 gears and pull right around 2500 RPMs at 70 mph, IIRC. I'll have to check it out again, it's been a while since I hit the highway. I've been travelling backroads at 55 mph for fuel economy lately.

Hey, Thanks for the Input .. ill pry go with a 4.56, next question. I got Tools and a couple of buddies that are gear heads that I like to work on my jeep with. If I got some replacement gears with one of those rebuild kits i see for sale on quadratec and such. How difficult is the actual instillation of the gears, Is it something I should be able to pull off with a High lift and a good selection of tools? or do I need to take it into a shop?
Thanks for any input !

if you have 3.07 gears you'll need to bump up to a set of carriers that accept 3.73 and numerically higher ratios to fit in the 4.56's ... as far as tools nothing to special a press to press on the bearings is handy

Back