Limited slip or not????

brettamy

Sorry for the newbie question.... but I just changed my rear diff fluid b/c I had a leak around the gasket and I don't know if I should add the friction modifier? I've got a 2001 wrangler sport with 4.0 liter. I'm not sure of the rear axle I have, any easy way to tell? I think I probably have a limited slip but not sure. Should I add the friction modifier just in case or will it hurt if it is not a limited slip??? Thanks

Did you remove the cover to fix the leak? What'd it look like inside the carrier near the spider gears? The LS diff has an S shaped spring between the side gears inside the carrier.

And there should be a small tag on one of the cover bolts. But if you did'nt add any and you do have limited slip, you will know soon enough. It will seem like its posi in the rear and as you round corners you will know (hopefully you wont be on a slippery road). then you better get some in there soon... Was called Skunk oil at one time now its not as bad

thinking an easy way to tell is to get one tire off the ground, put it in gear and try to spin the raised tire... you shouldn't be able to if its limited slip or posi - or you can lift both (use jackstands) and spin a tire while in neutral - if they both spin the same direction - limited /posi - if they spin opposite its an "open" diff.... hope it helps! and welcome to Jeepz!!!! you'll like it here!

thats the real way to tell, if theres no tag , but by now you would have known by driveing without the addative. The 1st time I had experianced the noise it makes I thought my diff was coming apart . Went to Dodge told them it was tore up, the guy told me " go to parts , get skunk oil , put it in and don't get it on ya" ... boy let me tell ya that little bottle and about a mile later everything was fine. WOW I was thinkin $1000 fix and 6 bucks later I was waiting to break something else. If its not Limited slip your going to want a locker before long.. Have fun

I really appreciate all the reply's fellas. I'm pretty darn sure it is a limited slip. I know it is a dana 44 front and back. By the way it is a 2001 sport with 30.5 " tires, 4.0 liter I-6. Anyway, I added the additive...

Thanks, Brett

Might want to rethink those axles, you only got a 44 up front if you got a Rubi. Good chance the rear is though.

Considering it's an '01 that rules out a Rubicon and a D44. You have a Dana 30 front axle. As for the rear if you have the 30" tire and 15x8 wheels from the factory then you most likey are correct on the D44 in the rear.

Back