Replacing the carb

Stolz Jeeper

Hey i am thinking about changing the stock carb from my 1989 YJ 4.2L I-6. from what i have expierienced so far, and from what i have read on this website the carb is pretty bad. My jeep stalls very often if i dont give it enough gas while idling, and it seems like it does not have much power (unless it just really has no power). I have been thinking about a new carb which gives me a decent HP gain, and be affordable. I am new to the Jeep crowd and i do not know too much about them, although i am trying to get as much info as i can on them!:) If anyone has any suggustions about a new carb it would be GREATLY appreciated so just give me all the info you can!

search the Threads theres a bunch on Carbs . As it seems to me the hot thing is the motorcraft 2100 , but I have yet to see it work but a family member will be puttin one on this weekend and trashing a webber, it did work well for a few years though . Check previous posts , there alot on carbs

I have a weber on one Jeep and a MC2100 on the other. The weber is a direct bolt-on and is a better carb performance wise. The MC2100 is much more simple to work on and can be found much cheaper than the weber. Either one of them is 100000000 times better than the stock carb.

ic, would these carbs bring up my milage while still giving me an increase in performance or would it bring down my milage while giving more performance??

well, depends on what you're getting now. If i go easy on the right pedal I might get 13-14 from these two carbs (no noticable difference between my weber and my MC as far as MPG) where I was down to about 8-9 with my BBDs (both was pretty far gone when I replaced them). My dad's Scrambler (85 with about 3500 miles on it) is still pretty much new and he gets about 16-17 out of the BBD. Your MPG will depend a lot on your transmission and gears. I'm running 3.31's with a T5 in the weber equipped Jeep and 2.73's and a T176 in the MC equipped Jeep. The Scrambler has 2.73's and T176 also. I picked up a couple of extra MC2100's for parts and to have one for the Scrambler when the BBD inevitably goes. I like the idea of easy rebuild/maint and I got my MC2100's for about $25-35 each as oppposed to paying $300+ for the Weber. The weber really ROARS but the MC is probably a better value for the $$$ involved. MC would be easier to work on and find parts for too.

Another Great Option To Consider Is Using The Holley Model 2300. Compared To The Webber Its Much Cheaper, And Easier To Work On. I Noticed A Big Diff. In Low End Throttle Response, Overall Power, And Fuel Economy. I Spent Around $300.00 For The Carb, And Adapter Plate. For Me It Was Money Well Spent. Like Everyone On Here Says " Anything`s Better Than A Carter "

Back