YJ dash speakers

TWDJ

Trust me, I've read all the really informative threads on this topic but have one follow-up question ...

A couple of years ago, Currupt4130 and Snitty mentioned cutting out the dash around the speakers for easier/convenient access. Did either of you, or anyone else, actually perform this function and, if so, how did it work out?

Why cut the dash?????????????????? you can reach the speaker nuts

I've always suggested 4x6 replacements in YJs. A little frustrating to install, but do-able and it's nice to have the stock looking dashboard.

Make sure you buy a polypropylene speaker for it's weather resistant qualities ;)

I never did it, I still maintain that you may be able to, but I'm not suggesting anyone try unless they have an extra dash.

Dave, I was always under the impression you had to pretty much dismantle the dash to put the speakers in?

The passenger's side can be put in doing nothing to the dash but the driver's side is a pain you have to lower the windshield and tilt the dash out then it's still a tight fit and i have pretty skinny hands. The e-brake pedal is in the way. If you're going to replace them get good speakers the first time it's not something you'll be wanting to do again anytime soon.

They suck, but are very doable.. you can pull the glove box out and it will ease the pass side. drivers side is a real knuckle buster.. remove as much electrical as you can.

Ideally you should pull the entire dash off, knowing how to do it, it can be done in about 30 minute, never done it before, could take a couple hours. In all honesty, the amount of time it takes to get the dash off, swap speakers, and put dash back on, is about the same as busting you knuckles and 1/2-a$$ing it.

In my case, I just did away with the stock speaker placemente. I work in audio, and the stock placement is actually the worse possible place to put speakers as far as sound quality goes. I decided to use modpods instead located under the doors (with 5.25" round speakers), and they were MUUUUUUUUCH easier to do than trying to uninstall and re-install the stock speakers. I used sound wedges between the roll cage and the wheel well for the rear speakers with 9X6 speakers. All 4 speakers are 4-way speakers with HDLD (high Density Layered Diaphragm, made from polypropylene, so it will resist water and sun a little better than other speakers).

Granted, as far a security goes, these speakers are out in the open view (without even getting into the fact that the interior of my jeep is all black, but the speakers are RED and the grill is SILVER, so you can see these suckers from a mile away!). But that is way I typically ride with a hard top anyway... When I go offroading, I plan to take out the subwoofer unit in the back and the amp under the driver seat (you only need to remove one screw and the cable connections to do this), so they wont be damaged (and so they dont take up all that space!), and put on the soft top.

In any case, this is another option...

Felipe

Back