Turn signal lever...

Joopin

Super Moderator
Anyone ever replace one of these? My last wheelin trip I broke my turn signal lever of all things, now the wipers are on all the time. It could have been worse I guess, the Toyota I was with broke an axle! I pulled the fuse for now but I was wondering if anyone dove into the steering column before.

Joop

My CJ's was broked when I bought it. It was not the lever, but the switch itself. If you broke the lever, you'll just need a new one and a phillips head screw driver. If the lever came out with broken white plastic, you'll need the turn signal switch and can use your old lever.

1. You take the steering wheel cover off.
2. Remove the horn stuff which is quite easy, just be sure to watch how it all fits together and there's a spring in there behind the horn post. After some wear and tear, that post can push through the plastic (turn signal switch) and fly out from the spring behind it. This can cause cursing and lost time looking for both a tiny spring and an irritating tiny bar... so I've heard.
3. Pull the steering wheel. This is the hardest part, so I actually got a puller from my brother to do it.
4. From there, it's a little fuzzy, but I think the switch is right behind the steering wheel.
5a. If you broke the lever, you can just unscrew the broken peice here, screw the new one in and replace everything.
5b. If you broke the switch, unclip the electrical connection where the column goes under the dash, then unscrew the switch and pull it with the wiring out. Here, watch for that pesky spring and bar since you'll be removing the peice that holds them in place. Slide the new electrical connection down the steering column with the help of a straightened wire hanger. Remount the switch and put the rest back together. Next, put the spring and bar for the horn back in.... crap.... take apart horn, steering wheel, and switch again. Put spring and bar for horn back. Remount the switch, put the rest back together, and plug the electric back in.
6. Test

It's not tough, but a little tedious. I'd figure on two hours or so if you broke the switch. There's a lot of "mechanicals" in there to learn and put back together, but they're all simple.

-X

It was actually the metal rod that goes thru the lever that broke. Thanks for the write up Phatty.

Nope Dave, I had a flashback of shifting a "3 on the tree" I think! haha! I have no idea how it broke, bu I did show the toyota up for now, but he's not done with his yet dammit! Here are some pics from the event...
www.jessegioulis.com/offroad

i had the same thing happen with my 89 - you should be able to use the "stub" turn off the signal - as for the stalk - dealer item - it uses a push fit into a clip in the switch - trying to remember - i had to take off the wheel, gut the column till i could get to the switch and work out the broken piece from the back side (couldn't pull it out from the outside tho i tried with drill and screws etc to get a bite on it and pull it out....) - wasnt fun but its do-able.... the dealer is the only place to get it - its a solid shaft with a swivel outer sleeve that works the wipers and the inner metal stalk has a base thats got a point with a ring groove that snaps into a retainer ring in the switch when you push it in so reassemble the column to install .... good design if its new but a pain if it snaps off - have fun! (been there/done that...) wish i could be more help but thats what i went thru....

Last edited:
Bought my YJ with a broken turn signal lever and switch. cost $125 for the switch from the dealer gave me 20% off and $200 to have it installed by my machanic, when I tried the steering wheel bolt thread stripped! ahhh

...its a solid shaft with a swivel outer sleeve that works the wipers and the inner metal stalk has a base thats got a point with a ring groove that snaps into a retainer ring in the switch...

Sounds like the YJ clips a little different, but the steering wheel / horn should be the same. I forgot my CJ's wipers are on the dash, not the stalk. I'm really not sure how that effects connecting the stalk, but I imagine if it's a sleeve mechagnism, you could probably figure out the mechanics of it by looking at it.

-X

Well I'm finally going to order the lever today at the dealer, I'll let you know how it goes. I hope it's not 125 bucks!

it's actually called a multi fuction switch and they are wicked easy if you have a steering wheel puller...or a 3 way puller

Well remember this? I just started this project, got the wheel off, the locking ring off, the signal switch off and now the ignition is keeping me from sliding the column off. Do I need to take this off? It seems like I do when looking at it. I also dont know how im gonna line up those 2 metal rods to where they go... one goes to the wiper part of the lever... so how do i get the ignition out of the column? The Chiltons says there is a screw, but I don't see anything.

help! anyone!!!

Last edited:
That screw, or whatever type of pin they are using should be right there. I changed out an ignition switch in my RV and it went smooth and easy. I'm sure you'll figure it out, I've got faith in you.

Well thanks for the faith Dave... but I couldn't find anything for the life of me yesterday. Today is another day though. If anyone knows how to remove the ignition please let me know... I'll be checking back depending on how this goes.

Okay, I got the ignition off, it was a spring loaded button, not a bolt. Now the column won't come off... looks like the ignition lock lever is keeping it on.... anyone? Beuler?

.Joopin...I jus broke mine 2...94 TJ. I'm following u w hopes and learnin all I can from your trfrustrations and sucessess. Thank u for trudging the way and good luck!!

image.jpgDo not take apart the column!! You can see the little piece that is broken off inside the lever housing. Get a small drill bit (I used a 1/16) and drill a pilot hole, then use the next bigger bit to make it a good size for a wood screw. Slowly screw it in , just enough to let the screw get a bite, and pull it out. I literally just did this, and came on here to post a thread to help someone else out and saw this thread!! It took me about 5 minutes to replace my lever! Of course, I already had a donor column for a future build. Hope this helps!!

Back