Thread: Remote Starter

beppy is offline Junior Member

My mechanic is having a horrible time trying to get a remote starter installed on my jeep. He says he needs a copy of the secondary ignition schematics. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? [addsig]

BigBlackJeep is offline Senior Member

I would try either your haines or other type of manual. I would try all the schematics in the back of the book adn see if what you want is in there. Other than that, not sure. Also, I hope your Jeep is automatic for the remote starter, Otherwise the first time you leave it in gear, you will have the biggest remote control car around.... just stopping it will be the hard part...

-A Jeep will always show you how it likes it... usually in the mud -[addsig]

jeepmaster is offline Senior Member

you might try sending one of those little private messages to dingus, hes got a remote start on his XJ, not sure how close the electrical/ignition systems are between what you've got and what hes got but it might be worth a try.[addsig]
    Summit County, Colorado - 96 XJ - Magnaflow exhaust, K & N filtercharger, H4 conversion, MT/R's on 767's, safari rack, hot blonde and an Australian Shepherd riding shotgun

dingus is offline Senior Member

when i bought my remote starter, i ordered a wiring schematic SPECIFIC to MY car ('90 XJ Ltd) but lemme see if this can help:

Remote Start Wiring Location

Starter Wire : DK.GRN IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Tach Sensor : GRN (-) AT COIL

Ignition (1) : YEL IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Accessory : BRN IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

Brake Switch : WHT AT BRAKE SWITCH

Horn (Relay) : BLK (-) AT STEERING COLUMN

which reminds me, this article would be a good one to post up on my website! thanks guys! good luck...

and i see you're in 'hopwood' (hopewood?) pennsylvania... where is that? i'm in doylestown which is halfway between allentown and philadelphia.

[addsig]

ZBTstang is offline Senior Member

Do the remote starters work on jeeps, etc. that are manual transmission's? I heard somewhere they didnt.[addsig]

berettajeep is offline Senior Member

you would have to bypass the clutch solenoid and always leave the jeep in nuetral. [addsig]
    '47 CJ2A My build
    '74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build

BigBlackJeep is offline Senior Member

My Jeep doesn't have the clutch solenoid, you can start the Jeep without pushing down the clutch at all. ('92 2.5) Other making sure that it has to be neutral I would think that it is possible. I would wire it up somehow so that you would have to have the emergency brake down, (use the parking brake solenoid- the one that activates the 'BRAKE' light when its depressed) just so you would have to put the parking brake down which would help you remember to leave it out of gear. Otherwise, first time you started you Jeep in gear you would be envisioning old episodes of Knight Rider hoping you didn't run into anything....

Hope that helps...

-A Jeep never gets stuck, just temporarily not able to move under its power...-[addsig]

Tug-n-pull is offline Senior Member

Souds like a James Bond Jeep! Tug[addsig]

beppy is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ordered the Haynes manual last week - hopefully that will have the info he needs. I think I may need to get a new mechanic. [addsig]

dingus is offline Senior Member

now that i have a decent respectable web host, i can link this to my website:

Dingus' Alarm Install Page[addsig]