Putting it together

SenorCole86

Alright guys, again, I'm sorry about so many questions, but this is a huge undertaking for me. This will hopefully be the last thread on this topic. Per Bounty_Hunter's suggestion I went with a clifford cam and cam kit. I talked to Larry from clifford on the telephone and he told me that the valve locks in the cam kit I'm getting from him will not work with the retainers and valves on my 4.0 head, so I'll need to use the existing locks with his retainers, springs and valves. So, problem avoided there. He also told me that the head will require some machining to make the springs fit correctly. This I'm a little confused about, if somebody could enlighten me in this area that would be very helpful. So Larry was extremely helpful and I would recommend him to all of y'all.

My real question is about the reassembly of the engine, I think I will just end up replacing the timing chain instead of getting a double roller, just to save some cash. So I will be putting the 4.0 head (water jackets already plugged) on my block, with headers a ported intake to match, a clifford cam, and a clifford cam kit. Other than what I've already mentioned, what problems should I anticipate and how would I go about alleviating them?

I actually may entertain a double roller timing chain for the extra tuning possibilities presented by the new timing set. However, I have no idea how to tune a cam or how much it would help, so please, any help in this department would be great as well. I've been looking for writeups, but can't seem to find any.

Anything at all would be helpful, ,seeing as how this as deep into an engine as I've ever been. So thanks in advance guys, have a good one.

-Cole

Last edited:
Back