Engine light on-gauges go off? Help please

Abutterfly

Hi everyone. I am driving a 2000 Sahara. Can someone troubleshoot this for me? I was driving along yesterday on the way home from work with AC on.. ( I know.. I know...) anyway, the check engine light came on...and it said, in calculator writing, "no bus" on the digital trip meter thing. (or at least that is what it looked like to me.)
It then went off with the warning light going off as well. About 10 seconds later my tach and my speedometer gauges went flat down to 0. They both went simultaneously and I thought I stalled out but I didn't. I was cruising along in 4th gear. They stayed out for about 10 seconds then came back on and it was business as usual. My manual said that unless it stays on and is flashing there is no imminent danger but get it checked.
I drove it about 30 miles after that.. about a half hour later and had no problems.
Anyone have a clue? :?|

Sounds like a fuse might be going bad or something electrical for sure. I'd get it checked out by a good mechanic soon.

It's a common problem with a poor BUS connection, where the guage cluster plugs into the wiring harness. A good hit on top of the dash will usually get things to come back.

Fixing it requires removing the guage cluster and disconnecting the BUS connector. Bend the pins slightly for better contact, and reconnect, securing the connector with zipties.

Back