Suitable Replacements/Overhaul kits for 88 YJ

88YJ6

Hey, so I hear that all 88 YJ have a stock Pugeot transmission. Mine is still going but the syncro on second is shot and first is going. Anyone know of replacement transmissions or a good rebuild kit?

Scrap it or use it as a boat anchor..ax-15 or nv 3500 will all bolt up. Look for one w/ external slave they work better then the stupid little plunger thing.

Forget the ax 15 it is no better than what you have. Go for the NV3550 I just bolted mine on last night. Total cost was $1,500 with a sye kit and new drive shaft.

The AX15 is a decent transmission when the correct fluid is used (Not GL5). You should be able to pick one up for a couple hundred bucks.

You will need to swap the input shaft in the transfer case from 21spl to 23spl, or find a transfer case that came behind the AX15. Stick with a '94+ AX15 if you want to upgrade to the external clutch slave (a lot easier to replace should it go bad, don't have to drop the transmission). Info on 231 input shafts is here: http://novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

Back