got a 2004 putting in new dana new engine?

PKLgreenJeepZ

hey guys so im going to japan for 4 years and putting my baby away till im back. im going to be saving about 10 grand to put in to her when i get back. im still throwing around ideas about a new heart and some legs. i was thinking chevy 327 dana 60s 40" swampers and ox lockers. thats what id like to make her my beast. not to sure if its just going to be to much work for all of that. anyone have any good ideas that wont be just trouble???

I seen a guy with a 327 stroker in his YJ. It was origionally a 305 TPI out of a camaro he bored out to a 327 and put in a crank from a 400 small block. This thing had an unbelievable amount of power and torque. Good luck with it. Post some pics in about 4 years when you're done.

Sitting is the worst thing for a vehicle and 4 years is an awfully long time to leave a Jeep mothballed. Why don't you do your Jeep and yourself a favor and send it up here? I could drive it from time to time and do some modifications for you while your gone. I promise you won't even recognize your Jeep when you get back. Of course you'd have to sign a few waivers and some other paperwork, but rest assured, I'd treat her as if she were my own.

It would be a lot of hard work but I'd be willing to make the sacrifice for a fellow Jeeper in need.

a dana 300 with a low gear set or an atlas t-case and a bullet-proof transmission to match those axles. I like the choice of lockers by the way, I think OX has got their heads in the right place, despite me never have run them, I plan to soon. Hopefully some other people on here can give you some more specific information about what it will take to swap all that in. I imagine you're looking at quite a bit of fab work and relocation though. Maybe corrupt can swing on by and tell you about his rig? This sounds like fun bud, make sure you let us all know when you get back.

Last edited:
For that kind of scratch you could probably send it to AEV for a Hemi transfusion. It'd be a clean (legal) install and it could be waiting for you when you return.

Eh, not a fan of the OX lockers. Why not just go with a Chevy 350? Way more abundant and way more adapters are made for them.

Eh, not a fan of the OX lockers. Why not just go with a Chevy 350? Way more abundant and way more adapters are made for them.

Adapters shouldn't be a problem. They're the essentially the same motor on the outside. Just smaller displacement in the cylinders. All the motor mounts, transmission adapters and such for a 350 should bolt right to the 305 block with no mods.

I would leave the motor alone...(if you have a 6, if you have a 4, pop the V8 in) 60's, Gear it way down in the transmission, Tcase, axles, link it front and rear, 100+ inch wheel base, depending on your driving style and the terrain you hit, 37-40" should be fine.

In four years, there is no telling what the latest trends will be. You might be able to buy a 2007 Vette motor for pocket change by then. You've got 4 years to save and dream.
Just make sure that you store it properly so it will be ready to go when you get back. The best thing would be to have a trustworthy person drive it now and then to make sure the fuel system stays in good shape.

Back