Which TJ would you start with?

Redsoxski

Hi all, new to the forum, need some advice. After years of mild off-roading with non-Jeep 4WDs I decided to come over to the Jeep side:) ! My budget is about $10K. I'm hoping for some advice on which year, model, options, etc. you all would look for in shopping for a stock TJ that is easy to modify later. It will be my toy, not needed for a daily driver. I plan to gradually modify it so it can handle the deep snow and trails here in CO. I don't want to look back and wish I would have got a different model that would have made future mods easier and less expensive. Any help greatly appreciated!

For what you want to do with it and your budget I would say hands down a 91-95 Wrangler is the way to go. A YJ because with them for $10K you can buy and build a good, capable Jeep. A 91 -95 (not an 87-90) because a fuel injected 4.0L engine is the way to go.

The YJ's are simple, parts and accessories are a dime a dozen, and you can beat the snot out of them and they'll keep on going.

I have had 5 Jeeps, three of them YJ's, an '05 Wrangler, and a Cherokee. I currently have a 91 YJ as a toy. I have no desire to get a different Jeep. My YJ could use a few more mods but as for it being what I want and being a solid platform to build off of it's perfect.

plan on 3-5k in upgrades for a yj. and 5-7 for a tj. Figure lift/tires/gears/lockers/wheels + lots more later. on top of the cost for the rig.

First off, welcome to the "Z"!!!! I see you're from Colorado, so if you're shoppin' for a TJ, try and find a Rubicon (first offered in '03)......lockers front and rear, Dana 44's front and rear, 4:11 gears, and a 4:1 transfer case all standard..............but you'll be lucky to find one in the 10 grand range!:shock: :shock:

TC had the best advice...........if it's not going to be a DD. Get a YJ - you can find them fairly cheap and mods are plentiful and somewhat inexpensive (as Jeeps go.......what, exactly, is inexpensive??????). Basic difference - TJ's, coil spring suspension..........YJ's, leaf spring suspension (oh......and those dang square headlights!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: ). Also, the TJ's have a really heinous dash - thanx to the feds and the airbag requirements.:( :( :(

Good luck and, again, welcome to the "Z"!!!!!!!

One thing to be considered is that the TJ's can be had with a Dana 44 rear whereas the YJ's never had the option. If you don't plan on doing axle swaps, I'd find a TJ with a 44 rear and go from there.

Thanks for all the advice. Should I be scared off by mileage? For example, if I went with a TJ I can find a few on Autotrader that are under $7K but with high (>100K) miles. Is there a mileage you would recommend staying under?

milage smilage....

If it appears to run well and appears to be well maintained, high milage is no issue. plus you can score an entire drivetrain on the cheap if you need to because there are a lot of people pulling stock drive trails for V8's.

IMHO
92-95 YJ SOA with some 1.5" lift springs, find a K20 chevy to donate the alxes (D44hd front and 14 bolt rear, most likely 4.10 axles), weld up the spiders, swap in a D300 clocked flat with Terra lo gears. some 38" tires and wheel the **** out of it.

If you do all the labor, which is not a whole lot, you could definatly build that for under 10G's.

If you can find a K30 SRW chevy, get that instead. it will upgrade your front to a D60.

Which TJ would you start with?!

I have to say this; Why are you limiting yourself to a TJ and not considering YJ's? Mine has been a BLAST to build, and you wouldnt be able to tell the age (except for the square headlamps, which to me only adds to the personality!).

For what you want to do with it and your budget I would say hands down a 91-95 Wrangler is the way to go. A YJ because with them for $10K you can buy and build a good, capable Jeep. A 91 -95 (not an 87-90) because a fuel injected 4.0L engine is the way to go.

The YJ's are simple, parts and accessories are a dime a dozen, and you can beat the snot out of them and they'll keep on going.

I agree!!!

Thanks for all the advice. Should I be scared off by mileage? For example, if I went with a TJ I can find a few on Autotrader that are under $7K but with high (>100K) miles. Is there a mileage you would recommend staying under?

My YJ has 116K miles, and from what I have read, this is relatively low for a YJ....

Felipe

I had to replace my engine at 135K but I dogged the hell out of it.

The Jeep you choose really depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna wheel it hard and do hard stuff that's gonna be brutal on the drivetrain, buy a YJ and put the money where it counts, the axles and possibly the engine/transmission/tcase if you feel the need. If you want a weekend warrior around town cruiser, get a TJ.

It's much cheaper to SOA a YJ than to lift a TJ to get the same clearance. An SOA will net anywhere from 5-7 inches depending on springs. Then theres all the little odds and ends. But to get that same lift with a TJ you have to buy a lot more in addition to the same odds and ends on a YJ.

What it boils down to is what you want it for. You can build a trail rig out of a YJ for that budget or a weekend warrior out of a TJ.

Thanks again. So where I'm at now is a YJ (91 - up) or a TJ (look for Dana rear), mileage doesn't matter that much as long as it was well maintained. A lot will depend on what kind of a deal I can find. Anything else to consider?

One more newbie question (can't help it, sorry). A guy I work with (long time jeep owner) is advising me to go toward a auto transmission. He says that with some of the tougher trails (steep, loose rock/gravel, etc) I will really appreciate an auto. I've driven stds almost all my life so I'm not too keen on going to an auto unless it really will make a difference. Thoughts?

Hey! Welcome to Jeepz! I live in the Denver area and had a similar situation.

I went with a YJ. I scoured the papers and the car lots for THE vehicle! It did not have to have low miles but it did have to have low off-road miles. It also had to be fuel injected. I wanted it to have a 4.0 L 6 banger. I found it about 4 years ago and paid $6G for it.

Part of the beauty of the YJ is that it is so easy to mod. You do have to think about what you want to do with it, but that will come to you.

I have a standard transmission. I prefer it still.

I have spent a fortune on it since, but I wouldn't change a thing. What Currupt said about axles is absolutely true.

Charlie White

if you want to go auto, don't use the stock auto from a YJ, not the best transmission. I wheel with a 5 speed, but my preference is a auto when in the thick of it, just plain easier.

Another benefit of a YJ over a TJ is breakages... YJ leaves are so simple. Easy to fix, easy to upgrade, less crap to break.

Thanks again. So where I'm at now is a YJ (91 - up) or a TJ (look for Dana rear), mileage doesn't matter that much as long as it was well maintained. A lot will depend on what kind of a deal I can find. Anything else to consider?

One more newbie question (can't help it, sorry). A guy I work with (long time jeep owner) is advising me to go toward a auto transmission. He says that with some of the tougher trails (steep, loose rock/gravel, etc) I will really appreciate an auto. I've driven stds almost all my life so I'm not too keen on going to an auto unless it really will make a difference. Thoughts?

Dana is the brand name for certain driveline components (u-joints, driveshafts, differentials, axles, etc.). From what I've gathered, the higher the Dana model number, the more robust & beefy the part is, compared to lower-numbered comparable Dana parts. For example, the Dana 44 differential is considered "tougher" and can handle more than a Dana 35 diff.

As far as the Auto transmission... some are for it, others aren't. It really depends on what you want to do with your Jeep, and your comfort level. Either way, keep us informed on your decisions, and feel free to post pictures! We like to be entertained p0p

Welcome to Jeepz!

if you want to go auto, don't use the stock auto from a YJ, not the best transmission. I wheel with a 5 speed, but my preference is a auto when in the thick of it, just plain easier.

Another benefit of a YJ over a TJ is breakages... YJ leaves are so simple. Easy to fix, easy to upgrade, less crap to break.
I have a TF999 3 speed auto in my 91 YJ and although it works hard at highway speeds (could use an overdrive gear) it has been running strong for over 185K miles and it never skips a beat. I was always a standard transmission guy until I had an auto in my XJ (Cherokee). I thought I'd miss the manual for downhill grades but 4lo and dropping it down to 1st and it's just as good ;)

I think it is mostly personal preference.

I agree with the auto. Went through 2- 5spd and finally put the tf999 3sp and love it. So much more control on technical trails and rocks.(that will start a debate..lol) Would like to have a o/d though.

The only reason I don't have an auto in is because my transmission is an old 4 speed with a granny 1st. If I lost that I'd lose all my reduction and I don't have the money for tcase gears.

Back