Ball Joints

Joopin

Super Moderator
Tomorrow morning I am going to attempt to change the ball joints on the pass. side of my YJ. Never done it before, I know I need a pickle fork or something like that... and that's about all I know. Any advice for the morning project?

Thanks!

Go rent a ball joint press from local autoparts store. Or a REALLY BIG HAMMER....LOL

If you're talking about the ones in the knuckles, go get the ball joint press. A pickle fork is for tie rod ends. They're gonna be stuck in there like a mofo.

I was looking at my chiltons earlier, it says I need a special tool to get the knuckle off, somethign about the "split ring seat", but it only shows it up to 1989... 90 and up don't have that?

Ended up not doing it today... waaaay too cold. But thanksl for the advice, I'll attempt it when I find a garage to work in.

Use a BFH to get the hammer off, striking the knuckle on the side where the balljoint goes through the knuckle. This egg-shapes the hole and allows the knuckle to break free of the balljoint. Leave the nut loosely on the bottom balljoint to keep the knuckle from falling to the ground.

I was looking at my chiltons earlier, it says I need a special tool to get the knuckle off, somethign about the "split ring seat", but it only shows it up to 1989... 90 and up don't have that?

You don't need this special tool to get the knuckle off, but you need it to remove and install the threaded insert that sets balljoint preload. You may be able to get by without it. You'll see what I mean when you tear into it, or see the threaded insert included with the new upper balljoint.

Back