Locking Hubs on YJ

88YJ6

Hey anyone put some locking hubs on the front of a YJ?
I see warn has some conversion kit but cant figure out wether you need the kit to put these things on or wether you can just slap on some locking hubs.

I put locking hubs on mine, but they kinda came along with the D44 axle ;)

You can probably piece together some locking hubs using the same Bronco II parts that come in the Warn kit. It's a weaker setup than what you have now, and the lockout parts are a lot smaller than D44 parts.

What are you trying to accomplish with having lockouts?

well i was just trying to make the front diff stop spinning while i drive...and i know that the passenger side axle gets disengaged but i figured if i could make the entire thing not spin it create less wear

With the pass. side disconnect, and an open diff, your front driveshaft will barely be spinning, if at all. Any spinning will be the viscous effect of the axle and transfer case. Or parasitic drag or whatever terminology fits best.

There really is no significant savings in wear by installing lockouts on a YJ, especially to justify the cost, unless you're running a front locker or limited slip.

Like Bounty said, the Warn lockouts use weaker components than what you have now. Let's say the driveshaft not spinning saved you these things:

Two u-joints over the course of 5 years.
1 MPG
An axle seal.

The hub conversion kit is about $1100.
Two u joints, $50
Axle seal, $5
With gas at $3 a gallon, and your jeep getting on avg 17MPG, you'd have to drive nearly 6000 miles for it to pay for itself.

There are a lot better investments for your jeep.

Hello 88yj6,
Go to the Reed Racing website and look at there Dana 30/44 conversion knuckles with the high steer option. They are about 500 dollars for the pair but you can switch over to high steer at the same time if you wish. All the components can be had for manual hubs from the auto parts stores in your area or the local wrecking yard. I did this and it is pretty awesome. Much stronger way to go than these over priced conversion kits. The only bonus to these kits over the knuckle conversion would be you can retain your 4.5 bolt spacing. The Reid knuckle route on the other hand you have almost all the wheel lug options all up to you.
Good luck, Greg.

Yup, I'm a nerd. Just noticed the date on the original post.:lol:

Back