Need Help trying to put a 2004 Wrangler 4.0 into an '89 Wrangler

60 Biscayne

Hay guys - I love my ole '89 but her 4.2's tired etc....... I had a chance to pick up a complete 2003 or 2004 drivetrain out of a Wrangler that rolled.
They cut the harness at the firewall - everything else under the hood is there. I haven't got to the mateing of the old harness with the new but figure I'll have trouble :cry: - So I'm looking for some advise or a schematic or an expert, a genius or how about a friend, a buddy, a Jeep brother etc........
Anybody needing help with a 348 or 409 Chevy I'm your man :roll: - just ask!
Thanks,
Jim

Where abouts are you located?
Maybe someone on this site is close by to help or maybe knows of a shop or another jeeper who could help out.

Get the ENTIRE harness. Replace the body and engine harness's. Will cost more now but save time and headaches later plus everything will work like stock. Gauges will be a issue though.

I'm located in "The Poconos" (Northeastern Pennsylvania).
There's a guy on Ebay selling the dash & lighting harness for a 2006 Wrangler ($100) he says that it has the section with the grommet going thru the firewall & this will couple with what I have etc..............
I'm going to have this switch over done at buddy's garage because this is what he does for a living. His brother is a real wiring expert too! I'm just trying to make it as simple as possible for him.
Thanks for the advise
Jim

I have changed a few ,get the complete harnes and computer from anouther junk jeep ,plug it in and go . Some check light and sensors not hoked up will afect preformance . also make sure if automatic the transmision is pluged into the harnes or it wont shift . I put a chev. 6 vortex in my 89 and was able to buy an after market harnes from a chev magizine and it worked great, but cost around $350.maby jeep has one ,Captain Jack

Thanks Capytain,
The engine came with EVERYTHING that would be under the hood but cut where it came thru the firewall. I just bought a new dash and lighting harness which I believe to contain everything on the other side of the firewall. This guy is also supplying me with a drawing that should help me splice the two together etc.....
Hope for the best!
Thanks to all,
I'll let you know how it turns out but won't attempt it until miid - late February!
Jim

Back