Engine Suggestions

Jeepz4Mee

I am looking to purchase a new engine for my YJ since the horsepower is not what I want. Any suggestions for a new motor? I have heard of getting a 4.3 liter V6 and also heard of getting a chevy 350, however, I dont want to have to replace the dana 35 and transfer case that is in there already. What I want to do is to have an engine that would be fuel injected, more horsepower than my weeny 2.5L, and wouldnt be too hard of a conversion. So any suggestions will help. I am leaning toward a chevy 350, but maybe you guys know something better.

I don't know how hard a conversion it would be, but if you could buy a wrecked Wrangler with the 4.0 and transmission in it, you could buy both a larger engine designed for your Jeep and a transmission which should stand up to it. Somebody on here could tell you whether they could bolt up or not.

If you don't want to change the rear or t-case or then I would suggest NOT going with a high HP motor like the 350... if you are wheeling it that is. I've always been a fan of stroking out a 4.0 you will have to change the transmission but if you have the time to do an engine swap/build then look into it. You will still have a good torquey engine that will go forever.

The 350 that came in my 84 Vette only had like 190hp. The stock 350 in late 70s Camaros and such only had like 165hp, and there are tons of other emissions era V8s that were just as pitiful. Torque breaks parts, not HP, but non of those engines were exactly torque monsters either. This is why you hear stories of people dropping 350s in stock Jeeps and not having any problems. If you install a 350 that is actually worthy of having Chevrolet stamped on it, you'll rip every stock drivetrain component out from under that thing as soon as you stomp on the loud pedal.

If you aren't making BIG power... what's the point in having a big engine?

you'll probably need a new transmission, too. And, personally (I think currupt and Bounty and others would agree), I don't really consider the 2.5 "weeny".

The 350 that came in my 84 Vette only had like 190hp. The stock 350 in late 70s Camaros and such only had like 165hp, and there are tons of other emissions era V8s that were just as pitiful. Torque breaks parts, not HP, but non of those engines were exactly torque monsters either. This is why you hear stories of people dropping 350s in stock Jeeps and not having any problems. If you install a 350 that is actually worthy of having Chevrolet stamped on it, you'll rip every stock drivetrain component out from under that thing as soon as you stomp on the loud pedal.

I guess I assumed that you would be putting in a 350 with work done. If I were going to drop in a 350 I would do a complete rebuild on it and get it some serious numbers out of it. Junkpile is right, a V8 without power doesn't compare to a smaller, lighter, torque-ier engine. If your gonna do a 350, they have everything for that engine... build it up! For some reason its the most common to do a build up on (I heard anyway).

my vote is still the 4.0 stroker though.

yeah an 84 vette ran the crossfire injected thay were choked down a bit. go to 87 88 or89 you get the 250 hp easily modified to yank. thats what i" concidering. so i'm curious about the stroked 4.0 now? i thought they were a little steep on price considering u have to do complete refit no matter what motor u go with? i bet it does run hard for quite a few miles though.

A friend of mine is a pretty hardcore wheeler and he's been running a 4.3 V6 for years. Plenty of power and reliability for want you want to do but...........there's only ONE thing that sounds like a Chevy small block.

I wouldn't consider the 4.0L engine, same amount of work or more than swapping in a 4.3L or 5.7L GM engine. In the end you still have a run of the mill 4.0L jeep with a hacked up non-factory install.

What you suggest is a catch-22, you want more HP than the 2.5L but don't want to swap out the D35. Well, the D35 isn't suited for much more power than what the 2.5L makes.

Which 2.5L do you have, pre '91 or '91+?

Your answer may lie elsewhere besides an engine swap. I run a '95 2.5L and 36" TSL's, my 4banger is fun to drive and can accelerate in 5th gear up long interstate grades. It's all about the gearing. I run 5.38 gears and performance is the same or better than stock. Of course I also run a performance cam and other mods but the gearing is the largest improvement.

And, personally (I think currupt and Bounty and others would agree), I don't really consider the 2.5 "weeny".

Add me to that list; my 2.5L is not "weeny" at all. Although not my case, you can get the 2.5L to put out as much power as a stock 4.0L if you make the proper changes and power mods...

I suggest you take a look at www.4bangerjp.com for ideas...

Back