Transmission Leaking

djfred

Hey guys whats up

I have a question.
I was wondering if you guys would know of any quick and easy
fix that i myself can do.

Problem is my transmission is leaking oil, when i drive up and park i can notice it leaking couple of drops by the morning the puddle of oil is about 2 inch big.
its not a lot but in the long run it is.
Wondering without taking it to the Transmission guy that i know, to have him fix it for $250, you guys know any quick fixes that i can do until i take it to him when i get the time.

thank you

You're gonna have to get under and tell us where it's leaking from and if it's an auto or manual

Its manual Transmission
here are some pics i just snapped away

IMG_0110Large-1.jpg

After 4 Weeks of having the car this is what the Cardboard looks like.

IMG_0111Large-1.jpg

IMG_0112Large-1.jpg

If you're sure it's the transmission, it is probably coming from the input seal. You have to drop the transmission to fix.
If you're not sure it's the transmission, it could be the valve cover, leak around the oil pressure sensor, leak around the oil filter, or possibly even rear main seal. I would check everything else before dropping the transmission. I'm guessing valve cover. Remember that it's blowing back as you drive it.

ill give those things a check in a little bit. ima clean up the transmission from grease then see where the leak is from

thank you

Looks like the rear main seal. Good chance your CCV system is clogged and you're building too much crankcase pressure, not properly venting it to the intake.

Gotta agree with Bounty. From the oil build-up on the oil pan (way up above the drain), looks like it's been seeping from above, then as you drive, blowing over everything else. I would suggest a good cleaning of all that residue, then a prudent check after driving a little while............might shed a little more light on the problem. Good luck!

Yeah - I'm with the other guys here. Clean off the gunk until you get to the highest point of the leak... my guess is it's leaking back from the valve cover, or it's the rear main. Should be easy to see which when you scrub it down (or, should I say up... work from the lowest point upwards).

I had a similar problem in my '93 YJ. After replacing the valve cover gasket and cleaning out the CCV lines and elbow fittings, the engine oil blow-by into the air filter stopped, as did the oil drips onto the ground. When you go to the store for a replacement gasket, make sure it's the right one. Some kid at AutoZone tried to give me a 4 cylinder valve cover gasket when I needed a 6. Good thing I took the gasket out of the box before leaving the counter.

To check for a clogged CCV system, find the tube connecting the rear of the valve cover with the airbox. Remove it at the airbox end and it should be sucking air into the engine with the jeep running. If it's blowing air out, your CCV is likely clogged. The clog is usually in the small line connecting the valve cover with the intake manifold. The line could be broken or the inline restriction orifice is clogged and needs cleaned.

I have a similar sort of leak except there is no 'blow by' on the sump, it seems to be just over the transmission and everything rearwards, more to the right side of the vehicle (opposite side to the transfer case). any thoughts on the problem. I havent tried the CCV cleaning yet so am hoping that might be it.

is the rear main seal easy to change on a I6 4ltr?

I did mine in about 5 hours. You don't have to unbolt the exhaust or the engine mounts like the service manual calls for.

I just jacked it up on the frame until I had enough clearance to pull the pan.

I did mine in about 5 hours. You don't have to unbolt the exhaust or the engine mounts like the service manual calls for.

I just jacked it up on the frame until I had enough clearance to pull the pan.

its going into the shop then, no covered workspace here so I would be at the mercy of the british weather, bit of luck it might be the CCV overpressuring the motor or a leaky rockerbox gasket.

Back