1994 JEEP CHEROKEE STALLING

RICHPTCH

Have a stalling problem. While idling, coming to a stop, starting out and in full drive. Twice while driving at 60 mph it just stopped. No dash board lights, just as if I turned the jeep off. Replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fule filter, fuel pump and pick up assy. No error codes. Starts right up after stalling. Also, strange "bumping" sensation once in a while. Feels as if it's trying to down shift or as is someone bumper into me at a slow rate of speed. Took jeep to 2 mechanics who test drove and said it runs great. They could find nothing wrong. One thing I noticed , after stalling, get error 12. Which says battery or computer recently disconnected. Sometimes whrn the "bumping" happens I notice the dash board lights dim for a second.What in God's name is going on?? Can anyone help???? If it were the crankshaft sensor, why don'tI get an error message? Thanks[addsig]

I have a friend who had a similar problem with her 90 cherokee. I don't know if it applies to the 94, but

her problem was stalling for no reason at random. She said her temp guage would sometimes spike right

before it died. Apparently the cherokees have a problem with air in the coolant. If it's not filled properly,

or leaks, there will be air in the system. This air becomes super-heated (air compressible, fluid isn't, physics

stuff). When it passes over the temp sensor, the guage spikes and the computer shuts the engine down

(thinking fire? not sure why).

The easy fix is to run the engine and keep adding coolant till all the air vents. On my tj I put the front end

on jack stands, opened the radiator cap, and let the engine run till the thermostat opened. Let it run for

a while longer and keep adding coolant till the level in the radiator stops dropping.

Although, in your case, with the code 12 changes things. Do you reset the computer after you read the

code? If not, then you are seeing the same code 12 from the last time you disconnected the battery. If

you did reset it and got the code 12 again (without disconnecting the battery) then you may have a

loose power connection to your computer. Although I'd bet on the mass airflow sensor over the computer

power problem or temp sensor especially if the bumping is frequent and you haven't noticed the temp

sensor spiking.

Cooper.

[addsig]

Back