Adding a TJ subwoofer

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a 2005 wrangler SE with a console that was added by the dealer. The console is not designed for a sub, but I'd like to add one. I've got the stock single disc CD player, and was wondering if a Jeep sub like the one in the photo below plug directly into existing wiring (meaning, they wire all wranglers for the sub, but only install it in the higher end ones)

What do you guys think, will I need to upgrade my head unit, or get some line level -> RCA converters for this to work?

Attachments

• ed_1_b.JPG
    ed_1_b.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 18,821
Last edited:

If you want to add a sub. you will have to change your radio. I replaced my stock radio with an aftermarket, and I dont think the stock radio has RCA plugs in the back of it. I would tell you for sure, but I am at 'work' and my radio is at home.

It the sub is 8" in diameter or bigger, you will need to run an amp to push it, which will require the RCA's.

That photo is the stock Jeep sub, which has a 50 watt sub build in - it's supposed to go into the factory center console. I belive that you're right that the stock radio doesn't have rca pulgs, but I know that it has cd changer controls, etc - I wasn't sure if the stock sub used line level inputs, or some other magic.

Ultimately, I was hoping that all the wiring was already done for me, and I'd just have to plug in :rolleyes:

Can't help too much Terry but my 06 TJ has the factory "Premium system" in it - Sirius satellite radio, 2 dash and 2 overhead pod speakers + the console woofer....So there might be an unused plug waiting in the console for you. LBR

Last edited:
Terry I have the factory sub in my Jeep, I am not sure what your looking for but if you give me a clue I could pull the dash cover off and snap a few picks

You might want to get an aftermarket headunit and a small amp to push it. I think you can make some sort of rig to play it but it might not sound too amazing.

I did quite a bit of searching, and I think I've come up with some answers. It appears that the factory amp doesn't use RCA connectors, but instead has high level inputs (no factory decks appear to have rca out). I could get the factory sub and amp, and if the wiring isn't currently there, I could add it.

Now I'm torn, I'd really like a sub in my jeep, but I'm loath to give up all the room in my console.

And a quick note that Jeeps with a soft top will get broken into when there is easy money involved. You got crime evrywhere, but I live in a somewhat good neighborhood, and one day parked in a highly visible parking lot, it was all gone. Dash destroyed, amp ripped off of floor from under the seat, ect. I don't know how you use your jeep, but if there is water involved, don't mount anything low. Unless your looking for deep bass, I'd upgrade the sound bar speakers, and beef up the Heat Unit. Good Luck! ~MR

Terry,

I dont know how the Sub is mounted in the stock Jeep, but I do know a thing or two about installing car systems (I work for Sony / Audio MArketing), so any help you need, feel free to ask...

Now, my first advice would be that you should replace your ENTIRE sound system with a Sony system... LOL!

Just kidding! Anyway, most subs will not require RCA plugs, although they are prefered. You can also use the speaker lines as inputs to the amp (subs of 8" and more are ussually powered by separate amps), and use the amp's crossover to regulate the frequencies. Of course, you will loose some sound quality, as the imput is not ideal, but it should work fine, and given the amount of road noise in a Jeep, you should not notice much difference (if any).

I have a YJ personally with (you guessed it!) a Sony system, so I am not sure on the stock setup at all. It is possible that the sub is used as a passive unit, meaning that it is basically a speaker that is limited only to low frequencies (typically 120Hz and under, although sometimes all the way down to 70Hz).

What I did in my rig is that both the amp and the sub are mounted in a way that I can take the entire thing down (mount for the amp complete with amp and HD radio tuner and sub) by unscrweing 2 screws and disconnecting 9 wires (this takes me about 10 minutes). Since I have a hard top, the system is typically in place, but when the top is off and I want to cruise around, I will take out the sub. If I go offroading, I will take out all the amp and HD tuner assembly. Plus, the face of my system is detachable, so that leaves the Jeep with me...

Here are some pics of my set-up to give you an idea of how everything is installed (I think I've posted these before, but anyway):

Main unit and kick panels under doors:

DSC02247-1.jpg

Sub unit and main unit:

DSC02251-1.jpg

Rear speakers:

DSC02250-1.jpg

The amp/HD tunner setup is under the driver's side. I basically made a stand with playwood, covered it in black sumbrella (water proof fabric), and installed the amp on top (so head can escape easily) and HD tuner on the bottom so that both units are higher than the floor of the Jeep (in case I spill something or do something stupid like not taking the setup out and going through a river!).

Both the HD tunner and the are fed through an independent fuse that I can take out and disconnect electrical flow (so I can leave the cables in place when disconnected)

I hope this is helpful!

Felipe

Thanks Felipe.

I'm on the fence on what I want to do with my sound system. I've got a very similar sub box as you, with a single 10 in it, and several amps laying around, but like you said I'd need a new head unit to get good sound. Currently I just leave the doors unlocked or off (I have a soft top), and since I'm all stock, no one really messes with it.

I'm debating if the better sound system is worth the worry of theft, which is what made me think about the factory sub / amp, that mounts inside of the console.

decisions, decisions.

It says it mounts in the seat? I have a box almost exactly like that with a JL 10" in it, and if I can get it mounted under the rear seat I would be extremely happy. I will still have the problem of where to mount the amp, though.:cry:

There are some boxes that will fit under the seats... We even sell some complete (I have not actually tried them to make sure they fit, but I prefer the aluminum sub I have to the cheaper plastic ones, so I'm sticking to what I have).

Just be sure that the box has the cubic feet necessary for the size of your sub unit... Otherwise it will sound weird.

As for the safety part, there is always the risk, and the better the system, the more attention you will get as a result, so that decision is entirely up to you. Of course, hiding the system as much as possible is a good idea, but keep in mind that the amp needs to be vented to avoid overheating it (under the seat is a good place to hide it, but it is still visible; inside the console is possible, but not adviseable), and that the subs need some space between them and whatever is in front of them (typically, you need twice the diameter of the port tube in front of the sub to get the best possible sound; in my case, I am using the space under the seat to focus the air pressure from the port tube so that the bass sound comes into the main cabin).

Of course, all this is for optimal sound, which will not be the case in a Jeep because of ambient sound (especially with no top or doors!), so use it as a guide more than a rule...

Felipe

That sub above actually mounts inside the rear seat. You just pull the bottom cushion off, and rip a lot of the foam out, and install the box. The only downside that I can see is that your seat will end up being 50 - 80 lbs.

I may try to buy a used (and beat up) rear seat to install this on.

Hmm... Interesting approach. Then it sounds like a good option to do it like that. For the amp, what you can do is mount a piece of plywood to the seat rail (so that it moves forward and backwards with the seat), cover it in the same color fabric as the seat, and mount the amp upside down so that looking from the outside, it is as hidden as possible. This is not the way I have it (because it is harder to uninstall when I go offroading), but unless you see deep water, it should not be a problem (there should be plenty of space between the amp and the floor!). Also remember to run your amp line directly from the battery with an individual fuse set as close to the battery as possible...

What about this? It's a little expensive, but a clean install and not that noticeable to would be theives. It's in the Quadratec Essentials catalog. As far as the stock sub goes it's what I have and it sound plenty loud enough for me. If I remember right it only uses two wires for power and plugs right into the original harness.

Attachments

• 44193-lg.jpg
    44193-lg.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,342
JeepMonkey,
That's cool, but I'd hate to use up all my storage space. I've been thinking more and more about the under seat subs, and I think that's the way to go. Take a look at this site:

Jeep inside seat subwoofer

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 20,606
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 816
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 14,503
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 14,523
Last edited:
Finally got around to taking a pic of the amp assembly... Thought I'd share it with you. The HD radio is upside down beneith the amp on the rear of the plywood base.

This picture is taken from the door of the Jeep. You are looking at the driver's seat, and the amp is barely visible below it.

DSC00368-1.jpg

This one is taken from the pedals looking back. Here you can see the two screws that I take out to remove the entire assembly, one on the far side of the amp, and one on the bottom of the near side leg
DSC00369-1.jpg

Felipe

Back