Fabtech vs. Rubicon Express

Jason4x4

I'm in the planning stages of going from my RE 2" budget lift to a 4" short arm. I'm really pleased with the quality and performance of the RE budget lift. Initially, I planned on staying with RE and going with a Super Flex kit. However, the Super Flex kit is almost $900 and does not include shocks (and I guess I should point out that it also is technically listed as a 3.5" lift). Fabtech offers a 4" basic lift that includes springs, control arms, and basically all the goodies of the RE kit, but also includes shocks. The price of this kit is about $100 more than the RE kit. So does anybody have any suggestions as far as which lift I should go with? Is one better than the other?

So if the Fabtech one is $100 more and includes shocks... Why not get the RE and spend the money on shocks and be at the same price? I'm confused.

Personally Fabtech has never had a good name to me. I've seen RE perform time and time and time again. I've seen one or two Fabtech kits and wasn't overly impressed with the engineering. I like RE, and I'd stick to RE. They're simple, basic, strong, and they work. Just so we can look, how about you give us the two kits you were looking at?

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex

Fabtech 4" Basic system w/ shocks

I didn't think I could get a decent set of shocks for $100 (for all four). Another question: I have a transfer case drop installed already for my 2" lift (had some bad vibes). Will I be able to get by with the TC drop with the 4" lift for now, or will I have to break down and do the SYE when I have the lift installed? I want to switch to an SYE and get a tummy tuck TC skid eventually, but all of this costs money. Thoughts?

The shocks in the Fabtech kit don't look very high tech. Looks like cheap Monroes with a with paint job.

Of course that is just my opinion.

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex

Fabtech 4" Basic system w/ shocks

I didn't think I could get a decent set of shocks for $100 (for all four). Another question: I have a transfer case drop installed already for my 2" lift (had some bad vibes). Will I be able to get by with the TC drop with the 4" lift for now, or will I have to break down and do the SYE when I have the lift installed? I want to switch to an SYE and get a tummy tuck TC skid eventually, but all of this costs money. Thoughts?

Get the SYE. If all possible try to get all you need at once. If you can't afford it now, save for it and then do it. Don't mod your Jeep with cheaper versions of anything to get you by.

Get the SYE. If all possible try to get all you need at once. If you can't afford it now, save for it and then do it. Don't mod your Jeep with cheaper versions of anything to get you by.

+1

I think if the 2" lift gave you vibes, adding another 2" will have the same effect... When I installed my RE 4" lift, the thing was UNDRIVABLE until I got the SYE.

By the way, I recommend RE; I am very happy with mine (granted, though, mine is a YJ, so it is a totally different kit!).

What's a control arm? Is it like a leaf spring? Haha j/k, but judging from the picture and list of components that kit only comes with the lower arms

Back