Heater Blower...nothing

Turtle

Heater blower, not coming on, and I have checked the fuse, for that is not the issue. I would appreciate any suggestions to this issue for it is very cold this morning!

~Eb

Check the wiring for damage, i.e., bare wires showing or the wire is cut. Also, make sure the connections are still good.

Turtle's old school. We used another type of forum software back in the day, and when we upgraded to this new software everyone got stuck with a join date of 1969.

As to turtle's question, It could be wiring, the heater switch, or the blower motor itself. If you can get to the heater motor, it may be easiest to apply voltage to the motor directly, to rule out wiring / switch.

My Jeep is a 1999 Wrangler. and I do not know how it states I was a member since 1970, for I was not even born yet! LOL. Reading past posts, this problem could be caused by a bad resistor? where is this located? Appreciation for all of your input and suggestions!

Ok... perhaps this new info can shed some light on this issue of mine. I was messing around with the knobs and wires, the blower came on, finally, although only at the highest.Yeah! But wait..once I turned the engine off and restarted, no more blower. Is this an electrical issue? relay issue?

Turtle,

It means you have a bad connection where you were messing around unless you have been also driving it lately hitting bumps. Best way is keep doing what you did and see if something gets it working. Sometimes a bad terminal to the back of a switch or connection at the motor can make it fail. Good news is, it's probably not the motor, just an "open" between the motor and power. This does not mean it's between the switch and motor, power still has to makes it's way to the switch. Newer vehicles are harder to trace wiring but do the best you can.

If that doesn't work, find a 12v troubleshooting light that has an alligator clip on the wire and a needle sharp point on the tool end. Should be able to find these at an auto store. Ground to something clean like a frame bolt and test the light finding a known good 12v source. You can then use this to trace voltage in your circuit by inserting the "needle" sharp point into the wire that you think is the fan circuit. If you can find the back of the switch, you can check to make sure voltage is at the switch. If the light works at the motor then you now have a ground issue.

If that doesn't work, roll the Jeep down a large hill sideways and check it again to see if anything was jarred back together. Good Luck

Troubleshooter

Thank you Troubleshooter! Wow... most of the time it is the simplest of things is it not? ( hopefully this is the case) Funny you said bumps, becuase my route to work is pothole city! I will take your advise and hope for the best! I have learned quite a bit from this forum, especially with my 88 YJ, for which I am quite thankful for.Thanks again, and if all esle fails I will try your last suggestion, if that does not remedy the problem, I don't know what will!

My rig is a 93 YJ, so not sure if this is helpful ...

If my selector switch is set to "VENT", the blower motor will not come on. If yours is the same setup, make sure mechanical connections (cables) are the way they should be as well.

Thanks for your input, I am willing to try anything at thing at this point. I have been fiddling with this issue all day long and it is not get any warmer outside, nor inside my ride, which bums me out emmensely! I could live with it, if work were not an hour and a half away and it was not colder than... well, it is Michigan after all. Thanks again for everyones ideas and input. Really.

There is a known problem with most early mod TJ's and its the fan switch itself. Over several year's I have lost my fan on high and second low positions, if your fan fails to blow on heat/vent/AC on the same positions then you might have the same problem, and its the fan switch...onfortunaly you cant buy the fan position switch only. I was quoted 85$ for the whole control panel.

FYI, There are Mopar wholesalers that you can deal directly with without having to deal with ebay. I have bought a couple of parts from this one place and both times the prices were way less than retail. I bought a heater control panel assembly for $230.00 and the dealer wanted $350.00.

Thanks for the info. The dealership on Ebay also has a phone number you can call to order other parts and ask for an "Ebay discount" if you don't want to go through Ebay.

As a second thought, maybe someone can help me with this one. For a while, my blower would only work on high, which thanks to you wise people I have narrowed to the resistor. Then, it would cut out altogether and come back on intermittently. I am still having this problem. Since it's been 20 degrees in MI, this is not a welcome situation. My hubby did some wiggling and fiddling (as all great mechanics do) and found that the plug leading directly into the blower is not connecting well. Could this just be because of the cold or is it resistor related? I have looked, and can't seem to find a replacement for the plug anywhere. Could the plug problem be causing the resistor to blow because of the sporatic current? Any input would be appreciated.

My hubby and I are both pretty mechanical, but we're perplexed on this one.

By the way - 99 Cherokee 4.0L (XJ)

Thanks!
Nancy

Hello All, and especially to a fellow Michigander! (Not many in this forum.) Anyway... my problem was the controller switch,( you were correct Utah- Jeepster) and I too, at first could only get the heat to work at higher blower stance, which is no big deal, seeing it is cold here. Finally went out, I did fiddle with it and it came back on, but finally lost interest in the contact! Still waiting for the contoller switch to come in, but happy to say I have heat finally! Hope this helps someone out there...
Appreciation again to everyone in this forum, you are absolutely the best!
~EB

yall are confusing. does it only work on high? or did it only work after you jiggled all the wires and what not?

Blower moter gets voltage direct from the battery (12v) on high. Typically, if a blower motor only works on high it's the reisitor.

If you're getting it to work when you play with knobs and wires and such, chances are it's a wiring issue or controll head. my 2 cents.

Back