JKATTY is offline Junior Member

Popping out of reverse

Bought an 88 yj with the 4.2 and BA 5/10 trans. It is popping out of reverse and I found all the prior threads relating to that problem. Took the boot off the gear shift last night and found that previous owner had already moved it back and cut the floor. There is no contact with the floor and shifter yet it still pops out of reverse. Everything else is smooth and I hate to spend the money to fix the BA 5/10. Since I plan is to replace it with the AX-15 once it's completely shot.
    Question is, will it hurt the rest of the trans or anything else to continue to let it pop out? I can hold it in and feather the clutch and keep it from popping out most of the time. However, off road or up hill it is more difficult.
    Thanks in advance for the replies.

currupt4130 is offline VT Hokie

Re: Popping out of reverse

It's probably worn to the point it won't stay in if there isn't any contact with the body tub or anything else interfering with it going into gear.
    06 VW (hardcore crawler)

"The mountains are calling and I must go." -John Muir

LVRockCrawler is offline Senior Member

Welcom to Jeepz! - you'll like it here! - anyway... i had that problem with 2nd or 3rd gear in my old jeep - its prob an internal prob and you either live w/it or R/R the tranny.... i just learned to hold it in gear or skip shift... g'luck
    Bob in Florida
    89 YJ-4.2/5spd,Herculiner tub,4"HellCreek Lift,Cable front axle,Flush LED tailights,Hella,KC,33x12.5 BFG M/T on Eagle Alloys,flatfender,55w backup lights, Steves Jeep Rear bumper,Bestop extendatrunk w/top mounted spare,Cobra CB w/rear dual antenna, misc. trail rash

Craig is offline Senior Member

If you have a body lift, the shift boot might still be too tight even if it's moved back (it has to move further because it's higher up on the shifter)...especially on cold mornings when it's less elastic. I heated up my shifter and bent it to a position that would allow it to move freely forward and back without stretching the boot too much.

KrazyJeeper is offline Senior Member

I had a problem with 2nd gear after installing a three inch lift. I just dealt with it until I sold the TJ. I have another 2000 TJ now and had a 4 inch installed and don't have the problem. Good Luck but at least it's reverse and not one of your foreward gears.

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

I had the same problem with the same model trans in my '88 YJ. I just held it in reverse and it never got worse.

ezwrangler is offline Junior Member

I had the same problem in my 88yj and i lived with it for a couple years until it actually started getting worse. It then started popping out of 2nd as well. I ended up finding another Pukeshow transmission from a junked wrangler and put it in. That was four years ago and it's still doing OK, but it starting to pop out of reverse again...

Megamole is offline Member

Same Jeep, Same Trans, Same problem, I hold the shifter in reverse. Mine has been doing it about a year since I put in the lift. Now the throwout bearing is making a little noise when the clutch is out. oh Well I will have to swap it when it dies. Just remember this trans uses a different input shaft spline count then the AX15. They don't match up.
    89 YJ Sahara, 4.2L Nuttered, TFI upgrade,weber carb,Borla catback, 3.5" Fabtech lift , 33" MTR's running 4.10s from a 4cyl

JKATTY is offline Junior Member

Well, I no longer have reverse at all now. Having an AX-15 swap done. Will come with a 12 month 12k mile warranty. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

Carrie Ann is offline Junior Member

Have the exact jeep as yours

I have the same problem, did this work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Megamole View Post
    Same Jeep, Same Trans, Same problem, I hold the shifter in reverse. Mine has been doing it about a year since I put in the lift. Now the throwout bearing is making a little noise when the clutch is out. oh Well I will have to swap it when it dies. Just remember this trans uses a different input shaft spline count then the AX15. They don't match up.
    Last edited by TerryMason; 02-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.