good buy for a cj8?

B.Jones

I found a 1983 cj8 scrambler with a 2 inch lift, 31 inch tires., new sunset mettalic orange paint job, rebuilt engine and transmission, new seats, top, console, rhino lined bed, toolbox, new tires, new dash hardware, with around 10,000 miles for 7800$. What do ya'll think? I think it's an awesome deal. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

That sounds like a great deal to me. Just be careful of rust! Check the frame and underside really well.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. It's for sale locally in my town. It's a small town so not many people drive by it often enough to be interested in it. It's owned by a mechanic and you can tell it's been well taken care of.

im not exactly sure how to post pics but i'll give it a try

cj82-1.jpg

cj8-1.jpg

if that dont work heres the links
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/bjones12004/cj82.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/bjones12004/cj8.jpg

I went and looked at it again. He told me he would take 7000 for it. The engine has around 40,000 miles on it. The jeep itself has 187,000. The frame and everything is in great shape.

I would take a magnet to the body and look for excess plastic filler. Honestly, I would be skeptical because a decent, sort of straight cj 8 around here in the north east would catch that much let along a nicely restored one.

I see a SOA and some 37's in that 8's future

I bet he's got more than $7k in it. It looks good from the two pictures, but hard to say if it's worth it without more. Does it have a commercial bedliner or do-it-yourself? How's does it look under the hood..wiring mess or clean? Is the underside in as good shape as the interior and exterior? Does it have any aftermarket axle kits (rear one piece), lockers or other goodies?
Either way, I would say he would have bought it in reasonable shape for $4k and could have spent way more than $3k doing an overhaul and paint work. If you look at it that way, it makes it a deal.
Does it have an auto or manual transmission?

It's a manual 4 speed transmission. He bought it five years ago for 3500 and it was in great shape then. He's had a commercial bedliner and the new paint done in the past few months. I actually tried to buy it from the guy a few years back but he didn't want to sell it. The engine looks great. All the wiring is clean and in place. No excess wiring. He is a mechanic and he also does body work. He did all the mechanical and body prep himself. He said he has around 7500 in it including the jeep. He has been wanting another truck to hunt out of and take in the woods. And since he remodeled the scrambler he doesn't want to use it. It runs and sounds great.

Back