No Brake Lights

YJBoomer

OK, here is my problem.(93 YJ) I have no brake lights, but I have turn signals and tail lights. I have changed the the brake light switch at the top of the peddle and still nothing. Has anyone run into this problem and have solution?

have you checked the simple stuff like bulbs and fuses (I'm not sure if there is a brake light fuse though).

Are you sure that you have the switch properly adjusted? Check to make sure that you have power to the switch.

That is one thing I was just about to say...do double check to see if you have power coming into the switch. If your turns work, it is the same bulb as the brake, and uses some of the same wires. I would suspect, if the switch on the pedal is working ok, that either you have no power going to the switch, or that there is a problem with the wire leading out of it...but not too far down the line.

Not really sure if this will apply to your situation, but if you're feeling frisky/desperate: The brake/turn/tail light housings get their power through a 4-prong plug, similar to that of trailer wiring connections. To access these plugs, you'll need to remove the splash panels at the bottom of the rear fenders (straight down from the tail lights), and then you should be able to see the plug connection. Check those connections to make sure nothing is corroded, cracked, or just plain missing. You may have to also remove the light housings to better access and inspect the plugs and wiring. Good luck to you.

OK, I've checked the bulbs, the wires at the tail lights, the brake light switch, and everything is good. Could there be something wrong in the steering column?

Have you checked the lamp sockets,fuses and other stuff with a voltmeter or just visually? How about the ground wire? If there is a separate one for the taillights.

If the blinkers work, it has to be the brake switch or the wires from it to the harness. The switches are cheap and are easy to replace. they mount on the top of the brake pedal. I once had one that was only out of adjustment. Have you tried pressing the switch with your finger?

I changed the brake lift switch and checked all the fuses, bulbs. At this point the only thing I can come with is it's in the wiring somewhere. :cry:

hmmmm brake light fluid LOOOOOL thats not nice.....funny but not nice....

Run a jumper wire from a known power source to the brake light switch and see what happens when you actuate the switch. If it works, then you know that you have a power issue and that you need to trace the wiring from the switch back to the normal power source.

Back