Tech Forum- Jeep Receiver

LadyJeepFreak

Man I feel like a newbie around here. I have a tech question and the forums are different than they used to be. I can't seem to find a way to post there. Is that how It is meant to be now? lol

OK I'll ask it here. Those that know me know I put alot of time in my jeep the first two years I had it but for the next three, nothing.

This spring I am updating some necessities like top, door frames, and other missing/lose/torn parts mostly superficial.

I also wanted to be able to tow something or carry a luggage shelf. I never got around to doing anything about that before.

I am getting a beach tag this year.

Someone kindly explain to me the difference between a hitch and a reciever, if there is any?

Also what is it exactly that I need? Mine is from factory- as is. I know there are a couple of tire/tractor placesl locally that have signs up "hitches installed". Is that what I need or do I need more?

I'd rather seem silly here than there. lol Please advise.

Ty!
LJF

Re: Tech Forum

In the oldie days, you'd get a permanently mounted "ball" that would be of a certian size (2" these days). These days you'll get a reciever, which is mounted to your Jeep, and looks like a hole that you slide your trailer hitch, cargo carrier, etc into.

I think you can get a hitch from Uhaul for less than $200, then you could get a cargo carrier like the one I got http://www.jeepz.com/forum/product-reviews/21877-jeep-cargo-carrier.html

I moved the thread for you, hope you found it ;)

You have a TJ, right? I would go to Trailer Hitches and enter your year, make, and model. Look for the 2" receivers, they're the most standard. There are two available for the TJ at around $130 each, difference being either square tube or round. I think the round looks a bit more contemporary.

Then you buy accessories to fit the 2" recieiver, like the cargo basket, draw bar (for mounting a tow ball), bike rack, etc. You can also get steps, skid plates, spare tire carriers, etc.

Found it and I'm straight! ty so much guys. Terry I do love that rack. it is just like what I was thinking to get. Bounty I like the rounded pipes on that receiver link too. I may get one of those!

Back