Dodge to Jeep Power steering box upgrade????

jeepin916

so i heard someone had put n a Powersteering gear box from a dodge durango onto a 98 jeep wrangler. just wondering if anyone has done this and if it really is better than the stock jeep gear box. My gear box is leaking and its easier to find a durango gear box than a jeep one. if anyone knows of any write ups on this plese link them so i can see, thanks alot guys

Swapping in a '98 Durango box is a good upgrade, bolts in and is physically larger inside and out. You can look for one that came with the snowplow package for a little quicker steering ratio, but either is fine.

A friend of mine just put one in and said he can no longer feel the steering resistance from his front OX locker.

I'm going to put one in my YJ soon, already drilled the PS fitting at the pump for more flow and installed a cooler. I run a front spool and the steering fluid was getting really hot on the trail.

Hmmmm interesting, im going to look into that and see what i can dig up thanks.

Partsamerica.com has a cool feature that lets you see what other vehicles a part is for. Look up your 98 Durango pump and then click that link. It will tell you what other years the same box was used on.

That is what he meant by "it will tell you what other years that particular part number will fit on." If it shows other years, you would be able to widen the availability from just a 98 if you were to go to a salvage yard.

It shows more than just Dodges. It will show EVERY car in its database that uses that part. If you look up an oil filter or something common like that, you'll get a long list of all makes. If you only get other Dodges, then you can only find that box on those Dodges. (At least that part number) Looks like just 98 Durangos and 97-98 Dakotas. But hey, I just tripled your number of targets.

here is a link Durango Steering Gear Swap if you have larger than stock tires you will notice the difference one of the best upgrades that i have done.aftermarket or custom bumoers might require clearancing ie BFH, grinder, ect

Bounty, what year is your YJ and what year is the durango you are planning on swaping the steering box out of? The box in my 89 YJ is dying and I should be proactive and replace it before it dies on the trail.

bacon

Bounty, what year is your YJ and what year is the durango you are planning on swaping the steering box out of? The box in my 89 YJ is dying and I should be proactive and replace it before it dies on the trail.

bacon
'95 YJ and donor box was from a '99 Durango 4wd. Should bolt into yours just fine.

Back