Changes from 1975 to 1976 Jeeps?

dave123

Hey, I got a 1975 CJ5. I'm looking in the parts books and most of the items start at 1976. Does anyone know if there were really that many changes for 1976?

Example: Bikini tops, side mirrors, Jeep covers, consoles, door hinges, bumpers, etc.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Maybe the parts places are just being lazy? I mean, how is it that a Jeep cover will fit a 76, but not a 75?

If anyone could point me to a list of changes that year, or a place that has lots of parts for my year, I would appreciate it.
thanx

Sorry, can't really help you but I DO feel your pain. I've got an '03 and have the same problems...................just what the h*** changed between '02 and '03???????? (besides driveline). Curious minds want to know.

The 1972-75 models are basically identical, but there were changes made to the body after 1975. I'm not sure what they all are, but I'm pretty sure one of them is that the windshield channel was altered, meaning you have to have a different style of top. Another, of course, is that the older CJs got the Dana 44 rear axle, rather than the AMC 20. I also believe that the older models' springs were narrower. Being an owner of a 1974 CJ myself, I feel your pain. I do suspect that some products would fit the older jeeps, but you'd have to do your research carefully. The track width of all CJs was widened sometime later, but I don't believe until 78 or 79.

Back