YJ won't fire

JKATTY

1988 with 4.2, won't fire. Replaced distributor, distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and coil. I have power going to coil and coil tests normal, yet no spark at the plugs. Shouldn't there be spark between the coil and the distributor cap? There is none? I ruled out ignition control module and ignition switch as I am getting power to coil. Am I correct? Thanks in advance.

I was under the impression that mine doesn't have a crank sensor. The timing is manually adjusted by turning the distributor. I thought a crank sensor was only used in an electronic timing controlled setup? I can't find a crank sensor for my year at the auto part store either. They say it doesn't have one.

Dace, his YJ has a carb and no crank position sensor. The CPS isn't used until fuel injection was introduced in '91, but for the 4.0L in the XJ and MJ which was introduced earlier.

I'm having the same issue with a 94 yj thinl it might be the crank sensor? I was trying to tweak my fuel to air ratio. after I hooled it back together it wouldn't fire? Any suggestions. Frustrated!!!!!

Either change the ICM or find a scanner. On the chryslers you can test all the ignition componets easily. Most likley bad resistors in the ICM though. Good luck

Either change the ICM or find a scanner. On the chryslers you can test all the ignition componets easily. Most likley bad resistors in the ICM though. Good luck

Thanks I'll give it a try tonight when I get home! Greatly appreicated.

Back