tracking?

STEW

Hi All
I have just fitted all new suspension to my CJ , leaf springs, shocks, shackles etc, and thought it would be a good idea to fit some new rubber.
i bought some Marshall 31x10X15 and they set it off a treat, When they were fitted i asked the guy to do the tracking, as it was a bit out before the new tyres went on.
He managed to get the camber and toe correct, but couldn't get a reading on the cast, which i believe to be the axle alignment forward and backward. he told me to take it back to the mechanic who fitted all the supension parts and get him to move the axle forward a bit so as he could get a cast reasing on his computer tracking equipment. i took it back, and the mechanic assured me that the axle was in the correct position and couldn't be moved anyway, asit was in a fixed position with lugs located in the leaf springs. he pointed this out to me when the jeep was up on ramps, and looking at it, i had to agree with him.
has anyone come across this problem? and is there a fix? :?|
cheers Stew

I'd take it to a different alignment shop, they should be able to get a caster reading regardless of where the axle is mounted on the leaf springs.

The caster should be fine if all was done was installing a lift kit. It generally doesn't change unless the balljoints go bad or the axle is twisted.

i didn't fit a lift kit, but the new shackles were the greaseable type which are a lot bigger, and the springs are the heavy duty type, so when these were installed the jeep was raised by a good few inches naturally.
the leaf springs came with the location lugs top and bottom, so the axle sits where it sits and i can't see a way of moving the thing forward
Is this problem going to do me much harm? are the new tyres going to get ripped to pieces. I know that when your camber or toe go out you get uneven wear pretty quickly, will this be the same?:???:

Your caster should be fine. Just take it to a better shop if you're worried.

Best way to adjust caster on your jeep, if it's off, is offset upper balljoints. Moog makes them in varying degrees for different adjustments, and you generally change both sides at once.

I agree! Take it to a different alignment shop. All though caster does not effect tire wear nearly as severe as camber and toe, it can effect driveabuility. What I mean is how it holds the road; if it wanders, or fallows grooves in the pavement. A good alignment shop can adjust caster with wedge shims between the springs and the axle. Most likely if camber and toe are alright you probably won' t need caster changed with a straight axle.

Back