Your Favorite Mod

PretorDepot

I may be opening up a can of worms here, but damn I love my Jeep. I lifted it some(4" skyjacker), got some ok tires(33x9.5 BFG TA/KO, skinny, but they were free), changed out my gearing to a 4.11 So my question is for a guy who just loves to ride with the top down, doors off, splasing any mudhole he sees, willing to go run through any field or backwoods path he finds, what should I do next? What mod have you guys done that has increased your love of cruisin around in your jeep? We all already know that it is the singlehandledly greatest vehicle ever made, but what have you done to make it even better? I am looking for any and all mods out there at all, if there is something you have done to your Jeep that you would slap your endorsement on, I would love the input so I can plan my next project. Please keep in mind I have an '06 TJ, so leaf spring mods aren't all that applicable. I appreciate all ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:

Performance mods like a 62mm throttle body, cat-back exhaust, airtube and conical filter, etc. They will compliment the gear change very well, makes the engine much more responsive.

My mods (in order of preference).

1. Upgraded sound system (new mp3 / ipod stereo) and the in-seat subwoofer.
2. 31's and 2 inch lift
3. wet okole seat covers
4. husky floor liners.
5. rocker rails / step bar

My Jeep's a daily driver, so It's great to have more power and big tires, but it's just as nice to have seat covers and great floormats to actually keep it clean when it's time to go to work.

Terry Mason, love your suggestions. I have the husky liners too, they make life easier.

Bounty Hunter, what type of conical filter do you suggest and between the throttle body or the catback exhaust, which would you do first? I like the idea of both of those.

Redwrangler02, I got my lift off quadratec and I think it was around a grand, then had the local 4x4 shop install it for me. The gearing needed to be done because it was just too sluggish once I had it lifted and 33s on it. I switched out the speedometer gear to really see how fast I was going. I also put a pro comp steering dampener on it because I had a case of the death wobble and like everyone says it scared the living crap out of me. The dampener cleared my DW all up, although I have heard that is not the case for everyone who gets it. The most immediate thing I had to do after my lift was to actually get my shifter bent. With the transfer case dropped, I would try to shift to 2nd, 4th or 6th gear and would feel like I was in, but as soon as I hit a bump, it would pop out of gear. My problem was that the angle the shifter was coming up, it was hitting the back of the plastic molded casing that the leather boot covers. I got it bent in sorta an S shape and it cleared everything up, no problem.

I'd do the intake mods first, the exhaust doesn't flow too bad and isn't as restrictive as the intake side of things.

If you have the 4.0L and a straight intake tube to the airbox, you can cut the end off and add a conical filter. There's a lot of good serviceable dry air filters on the market now, but I have the good ol K&N.

Also consider a SYE and CV rear driveshaft to get rid of the transfer case drop. This will increase ground clearance and move shifters back where they should be. The SYE runs about $180 and you can shorten the front CV driveshaft from a TJ or XJ to use in the rear for around $60. May need adjustable upper arms in the rear to point the pinion at the transfer case.

If you're looking to step up in off-road ability, I'd go for a serious Mud Terrain tire (some are streetable, too), and selectable lockers (there when you need them, but out of sight--or feel, as the case may be--when you don't).

The three things that are the greatest mods have been putting in selectable lockers front and rear, the four to one gear reduction in the transfer case and up-grading the axles axle shafts.

The lockers (ARB's) have proved there worth on the trails so many times, coupled with the Teras-Flex 4-1 kit there hasn't been a trail down in Moab that I haven't tried without fear...scratch that, BFE still give me goose bumps. With upgrading the axles to superior axles the fear of breaking my Dana 30 sitting on 35's has disappeared. Now that I am on 33's I have stopped carrying replacement axle shafts with me down in Moab and have sold them to a co-worker who is building up his jeep.

Okay, it's pretty lame, but it's really cheap.............and so am I (to BOTH of those).:D

The first thing I did with mine was bought a "Rock Knob" for the shifter. No performance improvement whatsoever, but my Jeep was, from that moment on, UNIQUE!!!!!!!! There is not another one on this planet EXACTLY like mine!!! All the other stuff mentioned is THE BOMB, no doubt!!!! But somebody, somewhere has the same thing. Just something to think about if you want to spend very little money.

Lame arse mud

I knew I would get some good hits on that question, that is why I love this forum. Keep em coming.... more fuel for my Jeep addiction. Thanks.

My favorite and most useful Mod cost me $7 and took 15 min to install.

Basic Gear changer for a multi speed bike and a gear cable from REI.

Home made Thumb Throttle.

rubicon express 5.5 lj kit on our tj

Attachments

• DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0092.jpg
    DSC_0092.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

when My jeep was a daily driver, best mod....

1998 Camaro rear view mirror from a junk yard. gave me two map lights and auto dim. and you can wire them into the neg door trigger in a YJ to be used as a dome light (something YJ's never got factory but in the hard top.

when My jeep was a daily driver, best mod....

1998 Camaro rear view mirror from a junk yard. gave me two map lights and auto dim. and you can wire them into the neg door trigger in a YJ to be used as a dome light (something YJ's never got factory but in the hard top.

This sounds pretty interesting. Does the wiring look good?

Does the cooler filled with ice and beer in the back count as a mod?

My favorite mods have been the 20 gal fuel tank conversion (like Bounty said, it is also the cheapest!), the Ford Taurus electric fan (I have a 4-banger, so I NEED all the power I can get!) along with the aluminum radiator and automatic controller for the fan...

BEFORE

DSC09807-1.jpg

AFTER

DSC02405-1.jpg

the hardtop (made city driving much more bearable!) and the sound system upgrade

FRONT SPEAKERS:

DSC02247-1.jpg

REAR SPEAKERS

DSC02250-1.jpg

AMP UNDER DRIVER SEAT

DSC00369-1.jpg

SUBWOOFER (it's typically facing front; turned it around for the pic only)

DSC02252-1.jpg

Felipe

I think the warn 8000 was my best mod.If my jeep cant make it on it's own theirs always the winch and it lets you try harder and harder palces on your own if you get stuck you can always get out.also My 4x4 buddies never go wheeling without me.

I haven't done too many performance mods...yet. So far, my favorites are mounting the controller for my Warn M8000 under the hood, and hiding the third brake light inside my spare. Oh yeah, and sorry for bragging without showing off. I'm too new to post pics apparently

Moving the controller gave me better airflow for the radiator, and protects the electronics a little better. Oh, and to answer the question that everybody asks me, yes you can close the hood while the winch remote is plugged in. It doesn't even kink the cord. That said, the next project is to wire control switches in the dash, so that I don't even need the remote.

The brake light gave me better visibility out the back window, and the LEDs look cool. 8)

Pictures too follow soon....

Since you mentioned it, here's some real cool winch controllers for in the cab. I've seen some of his custom work, sweet.

Actually, he's the inspiration for my plans. I love his stuff (esp. the panels) but I'm just too cheap, and I found the winch schematics online, so I'm going to make my own setup. I'm also thinking about moving the little plug for the remote onto my front bumper, or maybe the grill. That way the solenoids are still high and dry, and I don't have to open the hood to plug in the remote when I do need it. A friend of mine suggested that I move the plug inside and put it under the dash, but I'm not sure if I like that.

Back