how to decide if I need a slave or master cylinder

mustlovedogz

Does anyone know a definate way to decide between needing a slave or master cyl.? There doesnt appear to be any leaks- just cant shift and floppy clutch almost to the floor.. goes in and out of gears fine when off. doesnt slip when on and finally in a gear.. I do appreciate any thoughts on this, I dont want to get the wrong part..

Have you tried bleeding the system yet? If there are rubber boots, you might want to peel them back and see if they are wet on the inside.

If you can't figure out which one it is, buy the cheapest part first. You might get lucky.

I always did change them both, aint no sence in changing one. Ya know, not to get off topic, it reminds me that the Dodge Ram v-10 the Viper truck, ya know, they always had problems with them. Those were a dog to bleed. Jeeps not so much though.

Anyways, a good way to check is to see where the fluid is. Sometimes they would be so bad the paint would already be bubbled. When you bleed, I found the best way was to pump the cluch like a million times, while starting in between, keeping an eye on fluid level obviously. Good luck with that. A rack would be helpful.

thanks to all who answered! It WAS the master, didnt even need to bleed it, runs great and I was so worried, ended up costing 49 bucks! YAY:purple:

Back