Oil leak near starter

Jeepz4Mee

I have a problem with an oil leak near the back right on the passenger side of the engine near the starter. Since it was leaking oil near that area and down the dust pan of the transmission, I thought it might be the rear main seal. So, after pulling out everything and putting the new RMS and installing everything back in I found that the leak is still there. I also thought it might be the oil pan gasket so i replaced that too. So now im in between a rock and a hard place because I can not find out where this is coming from. Could it be coming from where the dipstick goes into the engine or maybe the oil pressure sensor. Out of ideas and need help, so anyone who has heard of this problem or has had it before any help with be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

It's possible it could be coming from both places. What year jeep do you have?

Excess crankcase pressure will cause oil to come out where you least expect it, so make sure the PCV/CCV system is working properly to vent crankcase fumes.

If you got a 4L the oil pressure sensor is right there. I had a wrangler once that only leaked after long trips and after it was parked over night. Changed the rear main, head gasket and oil gasket..yea none of that fixed it. Put some oil dye in that found it leaking from the pressure sensor, go figure.

Sorry for the late reply, the internet went wild at my house because of the hurricanes. Anyway, i have a 95 wrangler with a 2.5L engine. I now have two questions where is the oil pressure sensor and how do i remove the part of the dipstick that goes into the engine block.

Thanks again for the info. Took it to jeep to see if they could find the leak. Happens to be that the oil dipstick itself was not fully sealing at the top of the dipstick tube. So i am ordering a new one now, and i will update with the new news if it works.

sounds odd but check the valve cover.... i thought i had a rms leak in my 4.2 - turned out almost all the v/c bolts were 1/4 - 1/2 turn loose... the oil snaked its way to the rear bottom and down b/w the block and bellhousing - prob not your problem but something to check .... just my $.02 - g'luck!

Sorry for the late reply, the internet went wild at my house because of the hurricanes. Anyway, i have a 95 wrangler with a 2.5L engine. I now have two questions where is the oil pressure sensor and how do i remove the part of the dipstick that goes into the engine block.

Don't know if ya fixed this problem yet, Oil pressue senders with the 2-prong type connectors leak all the time. This will be behind the dipstick towards the lower end of the block. Pull the connector off and see if it's saturated w/ oil. If it is, that's most likely your problem. I don't know why they do it but oil will begin puking out of the female end and make a mess everywhere.

sounds odd but check the valve cover.... i thought i had a rms leak in my 4.2 - turned out almost all the v/c bolts were 1/4 - 1/2 turn loose... the oil snaked its way to the rear bottom and down b/w the block and bellhousing - prob not your problem but something to check .... just my $.02 - g'luck!
Worth a look......I had the exact trouble....glad it was that minor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shades:

Last edited:
I don't know about the 4.0, but I'm pretty sure the 4.2 has an "O" ring where the dipstick tube goes into the block. It's not press fit, rather the mounting bracket holds it down in there.

I am having this same on my 95' 2.5L. I'm going to check the sender tomorrow, this thing is really ****ing. Also, where is the PCV on this motor? I don't think that the 2.5's have one.

Its either pressure sensor or the o ring on the oil filter adapter housing just changed mine last night. Tgere iscan o ring that goes between the filter adapter and block

well I hope I fixed my problem. Checked the VC nuts today and all of them were loose, the ones to the rear of the engine were at least a half turn backed off. I checked around the sending unit, oil filter adapter, and dip stick, all were dry.

still praying that the rearmain is still in tact.

Ok, sooo it's still leaking. BAD. it's obviously the RMS, is it common for the 2.5's to have excessive piston blowbye at 105000? Any one have a engine laying around for cheap that needs a rebuild?

Back