Squeaky brakes

freebird2

03 TJ 4.0L 4 inch lift 31" BFG, SYE, CV driveshaft.

So, I've had a nice squeak in my brakes for the past year or so and it would come and go. Now it doesnt seem to be going anywhere. I'm planning on getting larger tires 33 or 34's and larger wheels. What should I do to fix the squeaky problem?

:driving-g

Have your rotors turned or replaced if they are out of tolerance. Replace the brake pads and make sure that your wheels are properly torqued. It is possible to warp the rotors through improper torquing procedures.

Useing a torque is a necessity. Slowly tighten your lug nuts in a star pattern while increasing the torque in three steps. i.e. 25ftlbs - 50ftlbs - 90ftlbs. Check your manual for the torque on your lug nuts. I think it is 85-95.

Also when loosening them, do it in a star pattern.

also - make sure you use the anti vibration "lube" on the back of the pads b/w the pads and calipers (or some type of dampening medium) as most "squeal" is caused by a very high freq. vibration b/w the pad and caliper... (can be amplified by rotors that aren't "turned" or smoothed b/4 changing out the pads... just another source of noise to consider...

I went ahead a replaced the front brake pads with the performance friction pads and the front rotors with some duralast. I used the 4x4xplor.com website and had no problems with installation. Squeak has gone away.

I had to clean the caliber twice in order to get rid of the squeak. I'll be replacing the rear brakes next. Should be the same process.

Back