4wd light backwards (1987 Wrangler)

defmornahan

I don't know when this happened--sometime in the last four months while the Jeep's been sitting in the garage--but my 4WD indicator light is on when the lever is in 2WD and turns off when I shift the transfer case to 4H. (It doesn't run again at the moment, but as I recall it stays off in N and 4L.)

It handles like everything is normal in 2WD (turns, etc.). I drove it around on some loose gravel to try to guess if it's behaving normally in 4WD, but this is the first 4WD vehicle I've ever owned and I've driven few other ones, plus I'm hard of hearing, plus it was night...to sum up, I dunno. I don't really want to put the thing in gear while it's up on jackstands....

I don't remember how the vacuum lines were routed before I took the manifolds off a few months ago. I have the red line to the transfer case hooked up to the same vacuum fitting on the intake as the cruise control. (By the way, if you have an intact speedometer cable for a 1987 with cruise control, please mail it to me...) The only thing my friend and I could think to try was flipping the check valve between the yellow and black hoses going to the indicator light from the axle locker, but that did nothing. What else can I try?

Back