my yj bearing went out wanton my dana 30 want dana 44.

YuriSouder

so i dont want to spend more then like $500 on a 4:10 geared dana 44 is this possible or sould i just get the bearing.

Get the bearing. You aren't going to find a drop in, ready to go, 4.10 geared, proper width Dana 44 front for a YJ for that. If you do, it's going to need a good bit of work. And even then you'd need to buy new wheels for the front. And then you'd have to buy new wheels for the rear and at the very least wheel adapters for the rear.

100% agreed, the only D44's that would be even remotely close to bolt in, same wideth will most likely not have better than 3.54:1 gears for the price you posted. and will need some work to install.

well when the bearing went out it messed up my rim so i need a new front rim anyways. i already have a ford 8.8 in the back, is there any other stronger axle i could find to bolt on in there

Not directly for a YJ. If you could find a 44 out of a Rubicon TJ, you might be able to torch the control arm mounts and put on leaf springs, but still you're looking at a lot of time and money no matter how you work it.

My 44 is out of a 79 F250. It has almost the same exact spring pad width so it bolts in with no adjustments to that. But it's almost 70" WMS to WMS.

Damn, I forgot about Wagoneers. Certain years have a driver drop pumpkin and it's SUA. I believe it's close to the same width. Still, you're looking at major work to get one in condition to drive with the gears you want. Talk about replacing all seals, all bearings, gear set up, ball joint replacement, new brakes (rotors, calipers, lines), possibly new spindles, new hubs, and new axle shafts and u joints.

All the info you could ever want on a 44 is here: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Last edited:
Look for a front d44 from an '80s model Wagoneer, same width as your stock axle but has a 6-lug wheel pattern.

A great rear axle to compliment the Waggy front is a rear d44 from an Isuzu Rodeo or Honda Pilot. They've got disc brakes, similar width to the Waggy, same 6-lug wheel pattern, and disc brakes. It's what I run.

Easy way to get front and rear d44's, and 4whl disc.

Photo 29.jpg

there is the damage :x:x:x

I am a little confused. How did your hub bearing going out wallow out your lug holes? Seems to me that the wheel mounts to the hub and even if the bearing goes out the wheel should still be tight to the hub.

Back