Ax15 transmission

Richard23

I noticed a very loud noise coming from my transmission regardless of which gear I am in. If i press on the clutch it goes away. I figured it was the pilot bearing so I replaced the clutch pilot and slave throwout bearing etc. After it was reassembled the noise was still there but now the gears are grinding I only have first, third and fifth without grinding the crap out of second and forth.
I will not touch the mystery box myself, Pandora for me. Anyways I ruled out the easy stuff and I am left with thinking my transmission is toast. I mean I can get a refurb but they are really expensive Around here anyways. A transmission shop to rebuild will be around $2000 if not more. Yeah I know. But I have found a used AX 15 out of a Cherokee that will apparently fit but I need to swap something over from my YJ transmission to make it work.

Anyone know what it is? Right now even if my transmission is in Neutral It sounds like as Espresso Machine. I can feel something dragging in there. Bearing ? Anyways the lack of Knowledge in this small town is enough to make me write a book about what not to do being a mechanic. The next transmission shop is 30 miles away and i do not want to chance it. I am afraid my new clutch might be a casualty. Can the Cherokee transmission work in my YJ?

Anyways thanks for the help.

My Jeep is a 92 yj.

I just had to rebuild the AX-15 in my 95 Wrangler for this same problem. I was able to buy my parts from Blumenthal Manufacturing in OK City and all of the parts were very reasonable. New bearings, seals, and synchros cost me around 250.00. They offered a rebuilt transmission for around 895.00 or to rebuild mine. I am not sure where you live, but you may give these guys a call.

normally when you push in the clutch and the noise stops it is a sure sign that the throw-out bearing is bad. but you say that you replaced this part. puzzling! the next most likely culprits are the rear main bearing on the countershaft and next the bearing on the input shaft, both of which turn anytime the clutch is engaged, but should stop or almost stop when the clutch is pushed in. the output shaft and speed gears that are engaged by the synchros are locked to the rear wheels and stop when the vehicle stops. so, your description of the problem doesn't support the bearing failure scenarios because they would not affect shifting the synchros! i would verify that the throw-out bearing is not the problem. the aforementioned bearings are probably better than $100.00 apiece and if the countershaft is wiped out make sure you are sitting down when they tell you the price! i personally would look at converting to the nv4500 0r nv3550 transmissions or maybe the wide ratio t-18, but i am a mechanic. your best bet may be to trade the rig in on a tj- just my opinion. good luck, john

Back