Front End Noise

Wranglerman21

I just replaced my spider gears,Bearings, and Inner axle seals. I went out today to do a little wheeling in the snow and im hearing a clunk every now and then. It doesnt seem like its slipping but is the clunking normal for a stock axle?

No, clunking from the differential is real bad news. The spider gears are the two gears that ride on a pin through holes in the differential carrier and i wonder if maybe those holes are worn out sloppy. Also might be the pinion bearings, just as a guess. Anyway the whole unit needs to be inspected/repaired, because if it locks up while you're driving it could cause you to lose control of the vehicle! good luck, john

Are those bearings you replaced for the carrier or the axle shaft? And, did your axle clunk before you took it apart? My front axle doesn't clunk, and it's normal.

No, clunking from the differential is real bad news. The spider gears are the two gears that ride on a pin through holes in the differential carrier and i wonder if maybe those holes are worn out sloppy. Also might be the pinion bearings, just as a guess. Anyway the whole unit needs to be inspected/repaired, because if it locks up while you're driving it could cause you to lose control of the vehicle! good luck, john

Uhh... I'm pretty sure he already knows this stuff since he replaced the spiders and bearings. :?|

Sometimes when people say " I just replaced..." they mean they had a shop do the work. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my remarks. I don't understand why someone would only change the spider gears. Also, please note that the axle shafts are splined into the side gears which are supported by the carrier bearings, the front axle shafts do not have bearings. john

I went through the same issue. I popped the diff cover off and found that the screw that holds the cross shaft (the shaft that holds the spiders in) was missing as well as about 1/2" of metal from the shaft. I shined a light at the pinion gear and saw some chunks of teeth missing. If you haven't done so yet, roll your wheels while in 4wd and check both ring/pinion gears for any suspects! Any consistent "thumping" or like noise while under load usually points to gear issues.

Sometimes when people say " I just replaced..." they mean they had a shop do the work. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my remarks. I don't understand why someone would only change the spider gears. Also, please note that the axle shafts are splined into the side gears which are supported by the carrier bearings, the front axle shafts do not have bearings. john

There are bearings in the hub which is what I meant. Just clues to the puzzle.

If you replaced the carrier bearings (I'm guessing you did), then you should have probably checked the gear pattern and tolerances before you reassembled it. If you did do so, then I would say do what ursman said.

On second thought, I'd just do what ursman says anyways. Looks like he knows from experience!

I went through the same issue. I popped the diff cover off and found that the screw that holds the cross shaft (the shaft that holds the spiders in) was missing as well as about 1/2" of metal from the shaft. I shined a light at the pinion gear and saw some chunks of teeth missing. If you haven't done so yet, roll your wheels while in 4wd and check both ring/pinion gears for any suspects! Any consistent "thumping" or like noise while under load usually points to gear issues.

Well the whole reason that I replaced the spider gears is because I went to Rausch Creek Off Road park in PA and ended up destroying my spider gears. I replaced Just about everything, Lets See...........well the spider gears, had the bearing pressed on the carrier, Inner Axle Seals, my buddy gave me his ring gear that only had 30miles on it just because mine had a couple rough corners from spider teath crunching around in the differential.(which may have been a bad idea b/c its a new gear against an old gear) If you have any ideas please please please dont be afraid to let me know. thanks again guys!!

I think your old ring would probably have been fine. As far as new ring on old pinion... hmm... I wouldn't try it since the gears wore down together, but I don't really have any way of backing that up.

Also, did you check your backlash upon the reinstall? I've been told that you always have to check backlash when you reinstall a carrier. Lastly, did you use new bolts on the ring gear? They are one-time-use bolts. I doubt that would be an issue, but you never know.

I don't know how much help I am, but you're welcome for the ideas!

As a Rule of thumb, i always replace the Ring Gear and Pinion as a set. i prefer a Matched set. the only time i would consider replacing one of the gears is if i needed to buy some time till i can get a set of gears.

I agree. Replacing just one gear is bad practice. The chances for a grenaded diff goes up greatly with some worn/some new gears. Never cut corners on axles or brakes is what I was taught many years ago.

Jesus... Mike you ought to know better. Replacing one gear is an absolute NO! Gears are made in pairs and unless you just need something to get you off the trail and to the trailer, it's bad bad news.

Have you checked all your u joints? Output bearing for the the front output on the tcase? Pinion bearing is a good one... Balljoints are a far possibility, unit bearings maybe... Could even be worn bushings on your leaves or control arms.

Back