hey ppl newb here with a few questions

jessejeep94

Hi first off my name is jesse and i would like to say hi. I have a few question for anyone who takes intrest in them.
ok what im dealing with is not that simple . I just picked up a 1994 jeep wrangler 79k , runs awsome has the 4.0 , the issue im having is that just behind the front bumper there is the frame where the leaf springs are attached to well both side are rusted out and looks to be serious , maybe this has happened to anyone before and what should i do ?
also are these jeep notorious for rust ? this one is i think i need every panel except roof hood and doors. Now my other issue is that i have no breaks . I was thinking of starting with fixing the breaks then frame . i will take ur .02 no thinks. :mrgreen:

Jesse, some pictures of the frame would be helpful, but if it's really really bad you should get it taken care of. By taken care of I mean cut out and welded back up.

YJ's aren't terribly notorious for rust, their frames are zinc plated and are supposed to hold up to the weather much better than CJ's did.

When you say you have no brakes, what do you mean? Are the pads shot? Pedal to the floor?

We're willing to help, but we need some more info.

ops i see umm.. well this thing is rusty as he LL BUT I can get around this . the break issue is that the pedal will travel to the floor . i put in fluid and it is leaking out somewhere were i dont no i will have to wait till i get some good weather. as far as the pic i will get one for u if u could corespond with me via email i can send u a snap shot from my phone.

If you want to send me an email my address is in my profile. As far as the leaking, trace your hard lines and double check your master cylinder. Also check all the connection points for the hard lines. I replaced mine with a cheap one from Advance Auto and it leaked like a sieve. I found one of another YJ and it hasn't leaked a drop.

Jesse,
If you email the picture to me I'll post it for you. Just send it to webmaster @ this site .com.

Hey Jesse,

If the Jeep is that rusty I'd replace ALL of the brake hydraulics - Lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and calipers. Check your drum diameter and disk thickness too. I've seen many of these rust so badly that they are dangerous. If the rotor fins have rusted thin replace the rotors. You want to be safe and your brake system should be the most reliable part of the Jeep. For the frame - you should be able to patch it if it's not too bad. If its really bad (like it has a big hole or is missing a lot of metal) you should be able to section out the rot and make a new piece. A frame shop should be able to do it. One good thing about Jeeps... There's a lot to work with when repairing the frame. Best of luck - John

i have replaced all brakes lines so that issue is fixed. along with a few others. i guess i need to find someone on here that is local to me that i can have weld this thing up. i would hate to go to a frame shop and pay to much. thanks

Back