4X4 Selector Lever

007Slevin

My wife has a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited which she wrecked this year. She rear ended a full size pick up on ice covered roadways at about 30mph while 4X4 was engaged. The full size trucks rear bumped road up over her bumper impacting the front grill. My neighbor and I completed most all repairs to enclude installing a new Rubicon 3 1/2 lift kit, new Mickey Thompson tires etc. The selector lever in the cab will not move into the 4X4 position. It's like it's hitting something? Could something have been bent upon impact? Visual inspection from underneath does not disclose any issues. Looking for some trouble shooting ideas. Thanks

Disconnect #9 from #10 by prying the linkage away from the shift lever. With the vehicle suspended on jack stands and all the wheel are free wheeling, Engine Not running, attempt to engage the t.case in all modes , Have someone to help you slowly spin the wheels as you move the lever and see if it engages freely. if not, i would suspect that the shift fork in the t.case maybe at fault. if it 's engaging in all modes, check the Shift lever itself for binding. if thats good too, then the shift rod just needs to be adjusted IF it's not Bent. i hope this helps.

Attachments

• 04 TJ 4WD shifter.bmp
    256.1 KB · Views: 1,911
Last edited:
Back