electrical help?!

cresencio

Unfortunately i recently blew the motor in my cj so i scrapped it and thought i got my money worth when i bought an 87 yj 2 weeks ago. everything seemed ok the only main thing i could tell it needed was a new carb or just rebuild the one it had. well ive had problem after problem in this 2 weeks following the buy and ive dumped 500 more hard earned dollars in repairs it in just 2 weeks.

well i know next to nothing about anything electrical. yesterday i blew out my headlights just switching them to highbeams. so i bought new lights and i turned them on and switched to highbeams and the highbeams blew out!:x in addition my voltage meter is maxing when i hit the gas. when that happens my stereo sound turns off:cry: . any ideas? whats weird is i adjusted the carb today to idle higher cause im having problems and now the voltage meter isnt getting as high and my stereo is staying on longer:?|.

When you say " Voltage Meter is Maxing out", how much voltage are we talking about?. An average Sealed Beam can usually handle up to 14v to be able to tolerate Voltage spikes and fluctuation. from what your describing on the symptoms, it's sound's like you have a problem with the Alternator voltage regulator. i think the carburator is a separate condition all in all.

thanks, thats wahat another buddy of mine said, has to be the voltage regulator. i dont know how to test it so im gona take it to autozone saturday and ask them to test it for me. it just seems like there is to much power running through the jeep. the fluctuation is just way out of wack. ive never seen my volt meter needle jump around so much so fast

thanks alot.

Back